Monday, July 27, 2020

A Place to Call Home // Part 7


A Place to Call Home // Part 7
~~~

"I knew you would find me here."

"Then, why did you come here?" Andi climbed the fence next to Josie.

They both sat on the top railing of the fence. A water trough was below them, filled with fresh water for the horses. The horses roamed the pasture land, grazing on dark green blades of grass. Shasta looked up for a moment before returning to his munching.

"I don't know."

"Well, maybe you wanted to tell me something?" Andi felt so close to getting Josie to open up, but she didn't want to push her. Opening up to a stranger took guts. And even though Andi knew that she could be trusted, Josie didn't know that.

A moment passed and Andi wondered if she should just leave the troubled girl by herself. But, spotting a tear trailing the girls face, Andi stayed.

"I-I don't know you." She began, "But you seem like a really nice lady. I mean, you fed us and made us sleep inside your house. I don't want to go back to that orphanage. Only, I don't know where to go. When our mother died, I was eight, but I remember what she told me. She said that I was the oldest and it was up to me to keep us kids together. I've made sure they never can  separate us when we ran away."

Josie sighed, and Andi patted her shoulder. It was obvious the pain she had been through at such an early age.

"Then there's Nora. She stopped talking soon after we were taken to the orphanage. I think it's just her way to deal with all the moving around so much. What do I do? We don't have anywhere to go..." A sob ended the girls storytelling. Andi was heartbroken for the girl.

"I know you feel alone right now, Josie." Andi said, hoping to lighted her load even a little, "But trust me, you are never alone. Not now, not ever. God promises in His Word, that He will never leave you or forsake you. I believe God made it possible for you to come across Memory Creek Ranch for a reason."

"You do?"

"Yes, I do. And I don't just thinks so, I know so. Josie, what would you think of becoming part of my family? I have a brother who is a lawyer, I think with the right paperwork, Justin can make it possible for you, Bobby, and Nora to be adopted by Riley and I. Would you like to be our kids?" Andi held her breath. Her and Riley had prayed long and hard the night before. Where God guides, He provides.

"You would do that for us?" Josie brushed away a tear from rolling down her cheek.

"Would you give us a chance to be your parents?"

"I can't believe it! You mean, we actually get to stay together. No more running? No more sleeping in abandoned buildings? I think this is a dream!" Josie, a new light shining in her eyes, blinked away a sudden rush of tears. Only this time, happy ones.

Josie energetically leaned over and gave Andi a bear hug, knocking them both off balance.

Before Andi could realize what was happening, she and Josie found themselves plunged in the water trough. Grasping for a breath, Andi looked into Josie's equally as shocked face, and couldn't stop the giggles from erupting.

"It looks like you got your bath early!"

~~~

One month later, after paperwork was complete, Andi stood in her kitchen. It was a typical Tuesday morning with her family.

"Do you need help making flapjacks?" Josie asked.

Andi smiled, "Thank you, I'd love some help. Why don't you start the batter."

She smiled at her oldest daughter, ever the helpful one. Andi asked Nora to sit at the table while she tied her shiny, red curls into a ponytail. Bobby occupied Izzy on the floor, playing with bright colored ABC blocks while Riley gulped his morning coffee.

Nora turned around in her chair and looked at Andi like she always did with that sweet, dimpled smile. And then, in a tiny voice, she said the four sweetest words a mother could ever hear.

"I love you, Mama."

Deuteronomy 31:6 "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you."

The End! That concludes A Place to Call Home. What did you think of it? Comment Below how you thought the ending was! I will admit, it was a little rushed, but all short stories must come to a end... Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this piece of fan fiction!  If you haven’t read the Circle C Adventures by Susan K. Marlow , I totally recommend reading them!! 

Many Blessings,
Brooklyne Elysse




14 comments:

  1. Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeee, that was the perfect ending to a great story! Thanks for sharing!!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t it sweet?!?! It kinda just makes me smile! <3 Thanks for reading along!

      Delete
  2. Aww, such a sweet ending!!! <3 Loved this story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad you liked it! I loved writing it and revisiting it! ;)

      Delete
  3. It was a lovely story with such a sweet ending! I really wanted to give Josie a hug. (I would skip the plunge into the water trough however! XD) Deut. 31:6 was the perfect verse to end with. Loved it! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad you liked it! <3
      Yes, I thought so too!

      Delete
  4. Awwwww!!! And that trough bath was a great touch. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! Wonderful story Brooklyn!!! The ending was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a sweet story!! I LOVED it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this story, Brooklyne!! :D

    ReplyDelete