Wednesday, July 22, 2020

A Place to Call Home // Part 6


A Place to Call Home // Part 6

Riley gave Izzy to Andi, who then set her in the high chair inside the kitchen where she could keep an eye on her.

As soon as Riley took the older children outside to do chores, Andi turned to the little girl clutching their flour sack, the same one they had tried to steal food with, the night before. Whatever is inside that bag, it's all they have to their name. It was a sad thought, but Andi knew that flour sack meant a lot to the kids.

"Why don't you leave your bag on the pallet, Nora. Then I will help you wash your hands." Andi smiled at the timid girl. She look at her with wide eyes and did as she was told.

Nora came around to the sink and Andi grabbed a kitchen chair for her to stand on. After all the dirt washed clean from her small hands, Andi gave her a wooden spoon and asked her to stir the biscuit dough. Oatmeal was for breakfast, but they would make biscuits for lunch and Andi liked to be prepared. Watching Nora awkwardly mix the flour and butter together, Andi poured a cup of buttermilk into a glass measuring cup.

"How old are you, Nora?" She asked. Hesitant to pry, but more so curious.

Nora, not taking her eyes off of her task, held up one hand showing all five fingers.

"You're five years old?"

Nora confirmed with a nod.

Andi continued the one sided conversation, "Nora is a pretty name."

The girl smiled.

I wonder why she doesn't speak? I know she understands what I'm saying. Andi held the questions inside of her all throughout breakfast.

Deciding the children would all take baths, Andi gave Bobby and Riley the job of carrying water to the house from the well. Josie and Andi started washing the dishes from breakfast. It seemed like there was a never ending flow of dishes constantly needing to be done.

"Nora, would you mind playing with little Izzy for me?"

At Nora's eager nod, Andi handed the happy baby to her and watched as Nora sat her on the sofa and played with Izzy's rag doll.

"Do you like horses, Josie?" Andi spoke to the girl’s rigid, pointy shoulders hunched over the soapy water. She hoped to find a common ground with the oldest orphan. Josie seemed so bitter, so hardened by the reality of her world.

"Yes."

At least we are making some progress... "Me too! My horse, Shasta, is such a joy to me. I will let you ride him if you'd like?"

"I'd like that." She whispered.

"Lets plan a time then." Andi felt like she was making some head way with getting her to open up, "Josie, do you mind me asking why Nora doesn't talk?"

Andi looked at the small girl that had been occupying her thoughts. Nora bounced Izzy on her lap, a strand of dirty, red hair hung over her left eye. Andi followed the child’s gaze to the bookcase that Riley had made for her to store her many favorite books. A black leather Bible sat on top. I wonder what she is thinking right now...

A moment of silence passed before Andi turned back to the sink where Josie should have been washing dishes. That girl!

She was gone. No where to be found.

Stay tuned for the last part of this short story coming at ya in a couple days! Who is your favorite kid out of the four (Josie, Bobby, Nora, or Izzy)? Comment below!

Many Blessings, 
Brooklyne Elysse

10 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed discovering all four of the kids personalities! :) Where's Josie?! So totally enjoying this short story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I’m so glad! Me too!!
      You’ll have to wait and see! *wink wink*

      Delete
  2. Wow! I've so enjoyed all these posts, and am looking forward to more! *winks*
    I think Bobby is my favorite kid?? *shrugs* Not positive though. xP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve really enjoyed posting them as well! <3
      Oh yes! Bobby is definitely a cutie! And he can’t keep a secret at all! *laughs*

      Delete
  3. I've really been enjoying this story! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. She is pretty spunky! And very protective of her siblings... ;)

      Delete
  5. What?! Another cliffhanger?! XD This story is great! And it seems impossible to pick a favorite kid. I just love them all!!! Can all of them be my favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love writing cliffhangers! *winks*
      They all are my favorite too!! <3

      Delete