Monday, July 20, 2020

A Place to Call Home // Part 5



A Place to Call Home // Part 5

Early the next morning, Andi awakened to the sound of quiet laughter and whispering. Curious, she quickly got dressed and tiptoed into the other room to see what was so funny.

Andi smiled when she saw Riley and Bobby playing a game of checkers at the kitchen table. Just because we talked about it last night, doesn't mean they would want to be apart of our family. She reminded herself before the scene before her got to her head.

Riley was holding Izzy who giggled each time Bobby made a funny face when it was his turn to move the checker piece. Josie and Nora were still sound asleep on their pallet, or at least, they pretended to be sleeping. For a fleeting moment, Andi let herself imagine that the three orphans were her and Riley's children, and that this was a typical Tuesday morning with her family.

"Do you need help making flapjacks?" Josie would ask her.

Andi would smile, "Thank you, I'd love some help. Why don't you start the batter." 

She would then smile at her oldest daughter, ever the helpful one. She'd ask Nora to sit at the table while she tied her shiny, red curls into a ponytail. Bobby would occupy Izzy on the floor, playing with bright colored ABC blocks while Riley gulped his morning coffee.

Nora would eventually turn around in her chair and look at Andi like she always did with that sweet, dimpled smile. In a tiny voice, she'd say the four sweetest words a mother could ever hear.

"I love you, Mama."

"Andi? Are you okay?" Riley asked his wife.

His words snapped Andi back to the present and away from her daydream. Shaking her head, she blinked and looked into Riley's concerned face.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just deep in thought, I suppose."

"Are you sure?" Riley gently led her to the table and pulled out a chair for her, then sat down beside her, "Why are you crying?"

"I am?" She swiped at her damp face with the back of her hand. Why does a silly daydream have me all chocked up? Crying like this is something Melinda would do, not me.

"Who's hungry?" She changed subjects, standing up to start the oatmeal on a back burner. Riley read through her overly cheerful tone. But he didn't comment on it, if anything, played along.

"All right, kids, who wants to help me with the morning chores?" Riley asked, looking expectantly at the two oldest. Both looked at each other, not sure if they wanted to volunteer or not.

"Grab your shoes, you both can help me this morning. Nora, you can stay inside and help Andi with breakfast, does that sound good?" The little girl nodded, her red matted curls bouncing with each movement. Her hair needs to be brushed, Andi noted, and they all could use a bath!

On a scale of 1-10, how did you like Part 5? Here's a little secret, be sure to remember Andi's daydream. *winks* Comment below and tell me, when is the last time you had pancakes (flapjacks) for breakfast? 

Many Blessings, 
Brooklyne Elysse

14 comments:

  1. I give it a 10! :) I was hoping Andi's daydream *might* happen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you!!! Yes, I think you *might* be right about that! *smiles*

      Delete
  2. I think Andi's daydream might come true! ;)
    The last time I had pancakes was two days ago :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you’re right! <33
      Oh yum!!! I love pancakes for breakfast! What’s your favorite topping?

      Delete
    2. Most of the time I use maple syrup, but sometimes I like using applesauce or chocolate chips😋

      Delete
    3. I love using maple syrup and chocolate chips!! :P

      Delete
  3. I give it a 10!! *grins*
    And I don't like pancakes so it's been awhile since I had them. *hides from you look* *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I’m glad you are liking this story! <3
      Haha, that’s what makes the world go around!! Do you like waffles?

      Delete
  4. Definitely a 10! Riley is so sweet☺️
    I had pancakes yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww! I'm loving this! It definitely gets a 10! I would totally daydream the same thing if I were in Andi's place.

    The last time I had flapjacks was sometime last week, but I can't remember the exact day cause I've been SO busy! XP I think it might have been Wednesday, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad! Thank you!!

      Oh yum! It’s such a good breakfast choice!

      Delete