Monday, July 22, 2019

Childhood Books and Favorite Books // I Need Assumptions!


Ahh, childhood books.

The books you grew up on.
The books your daddy or mama read to you every night.
The books that you finally learned to read on your own.
The books that held you fascinated.
The books that gave you ideas.
The books that you play-acted like you were the characters.
The books that made you laugh.
The books that impacted you so much.
The books that you randomly think about now.
The books that made you become a bookworm.
The books that gave you the desire to write.

Yes, we all have them. Childhood books always make me smile when I think about them. And that's why today, i'm going to be doing a whole post about them! I'm going to talk about some of my favorite childhood books and why I like them so much!

I'm going to try to go in order as I read them, but I don't know the exact ages when I read them....
So here's a list of my childhood books AND some of my most favorite books still today:


1. Puddle The Duck
This little book has a blue felt cover with a handle, and I loved it! I would carry it around, and it was seriously the cutest book to read. It talked about Puddle the duck going around with his little bag, helping all the farm animals with band-aids and such, then in the end, they all had a birthday party for the horse! It was so fun, and every little kid should have a book like this!

2. Froggy Goes to Bed by Jonathan London
I remember having the most fun with this book! And why? Because my daddy read it to us in all these funny voices, and then he would change up the words and we would have to correct him because we knew it by heart. We would beg for him to read it to us almost every night!

3. Pony Investigators by Kathleen Pennell
This was another series daddy read to us kids. It was about two girls and their horses who solved mysteries and went and got ice cream for them and their horses! I liked this series so much that me and my older sister would play like we were the two girls with our horses (our bikes.) This was before we had real horses! Lots of memories!

4. Reel Kids Adventures by Dave Gustaveson
I don't remember this series as much, but I remember my dad reading it to us as well!

5. The Swiss Family Robinson by A Beka Book reading program
So this book was for school, but it was probably the first book that I read on my own, that I actually got into... *winks* For those who didn't know this, when I was really little, I didn't like reading... But now, I'm so glad that changed! :)

6. The Adirondack Kids by Justin and Gary Vanriper
Another one dad read to us! He would always make it fun, and change the words... hehe, unless he fell asleep!

7. Pony Pals
This series was the main reason I went to the library so much as a kid! I read this series when I was around 8 or 9. This was another series that my sisters, and cousins would play like we were the characters! And I loved that there was a map in the front cover... because hey, maps are fun!

8. The Boxcar Children
I actually don't remember reading all of them, but us kids would always play "shows" that were suspiciously similar to The Boxcar Children. *goofy grin*

9.  Books by Mr. and Mrs Stephen B. Castleberry
There was different series, but I read most of the blue cover ones, and daddy read us some other ones too. They were good, I liked the mysteries that these two brothers solved.

10. Sisters in Time series
 I loved reading this series! There was so much about history in them... my favorite was Daria Solves a Mystery.

11. Saddles, Stripes, & Stars series by Deborah Kent
I really liked this series! And my favorite book was Riding the Pony Express, about a girl who rode for the pony express!

12. Concord Cunningham Mysteries by Mat Halverson
I loved these books! It was about a boy who used his Bible to solve mysteries! But the best part? Each mystery would end, and you would have to look up the Bible verse to figure out how he solved the mystery. So cool! I remember reading a chapter each morning.

13. Peter Paul Pappenfuss series by Seth J. Pierce
I read these when I was a little older, but I have to say, they were hilarious! The Day the School Blew Up (first book) was one of the funniest books ever! Laugh out loud kind of funny!

14. Circle C Adventures by Susan K. Marlow
So everyone who has read my blog for any period of time probably knew I was going to include this series! Horses, 1800s, adventure... sign me up! I read this series when I was 13 years old, and literally grew up with the main character! She turned fourteen, and I was like... oh, I'm fourteen now too! I loved this series! And if you want to learn more about Andi Carter, check out Mrs. Marlow's blog HERE!

15. Goldtown Adventures by Susan K. Marlow
Another favorite for sure!

16. The Serenity Inn series by Kay D. Rizzo
As I got a little older, The Serenity Inn series became a favorite series! This was probably my first series that I read with romance in it. My older sister and older cousin read them first and I had never been interested in them (I tried to pick them up once or twice but didn't like the more complicated writing style.) Then one day, all that changed and once I got passed the first page, I couldn't stop! I loved the olden time feel of the books in this series, and the characters were amazing! My older sister warned me about book 6 and 7, how they weren't as good. So I skipped those and haven't ever read them, but I did read the rest and they are one of my favorite series! My favorite books were the first two books, Abigail's Dream book 5 (about the Oregon trail) and Rebecca's Crossing (last book.) I would definitely recommend this series, but for more mature readers only because of the romance aspect and the writing style...

17. The Chloe Mae Chronicles series by Kay D. Rizzo
This series was not as good as The Serenity Inn series, but I still really liked reading it! (Even though that happened! Sorry, can't tell because of spoilers!)

18. Maude March Misadventures series
The first book, me and my older sister listened to on a audio book, but the second book, we read. I really liked it! (And I surprised myself how much I liked listening to it! Usually I like to actually read the books...)

19. Louis L’Amour
I enjoyed most of these! My favorite was Ride the River because it was about a girl. I also liked the Sacketts.

20. The Wells Fargo Trail series
As much as I liked this series, I would definitely not recommend it to sensitive readers. It's a western, and there was some parts that were iffy. (More along the lines as detailed fights and such.) My favorite was the fourth book that I actually read first. Overall, this series was exciting, but I would not recommend it to just anyone....

21. Homestead series by Stephen Bly
Gotta say, this series is awesome! It is super family oriented, and squeaky clean. And that one scene with the sunflower, I laughed so hard! (My family would know what I'm talking about...)

22. The Skinners of Goldfield by Stephen Bly
Another favorite by Stephen Bly! This series is a must read for anyone who likes a good family western! <3

22. The Fire in Ember by DiAnn Mills
Many people have heard I like this book, probably because it's one of my favorites!!!

23. Love Finds You series
So there are a LOT of books in this series, written by many authors. I have not read all of them, but most of the ones set in historical timeframes I have read. Some of my favorites are Love Finds You in Sundance Wyoming, Love Finds You in Victory Heights Washington, Love Finds You in Hope Kansas, Love Finds You in Groom Texas, Love Finds You in Last Chance California, Love Finds You in Calico California, Love Finds You in Sugarcreek Ohio, and Love Finds You in Silver City Idaho!


Whew! That was a long list!!! And if you read the whole post... *high fives and gives you chocolate* Great job! So now, you have had a glance of what kind of books I grew up on! And how my taste in books grew! Haha, from Puddle the Duck to Love Finds You books! Anyway, I hope you liked this post! And maybe you have found some book recommendations along the way. (Because everyone should read Puddle the Duck!) XD 

Also, I need your help! 
I saw a lot of posts awhile ago asking for assumptions and seeing how well you know that person... so I thought I'd do a post like that sometimes in the near future! So ask away in the comments below! Assume something about me! (About books, life, my WIPs, whatever you want to assume!) Then I'll do a post seeing if y'all were right or wrong about me! 

So what are some of your childhood favorites? How about just favorites? Have you read any of the ones I mentioned above? Are you going to assume something about me?? 
Talk to me in the comments!!! 






23 comments:

  1. I have so many books I loved when I was younger! I liked the boxcar children;), the Nancy Drew series, the Never Girls series, the Trailblazer series, and a couple more I can't remember:-) I have two Saddle, Stars, and Stripes books that I got a long time ago, but I haven't read them yet😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! I haven't heard of a few of those you mentioned... but the Saddles, Stars, and Stripes series is really good!! <3

      Delete
  2. Girl, you've got some good books up there in that list. *laughs*
    I love a lot of the ones you mentioned. Like, "Ride The River" and the Sacketts!! Oooh, gotta love those Sackett boys. Also, Susan K. Marlow's books, and the pony pals. I'm pretty sure those books are what got me into reading. I was kinda like you as a kid. I hated reading. It's not like I'm a huge book worm now, but I do enjoy books. *laughs*
    Also, I really enjoyed this post! *grins*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yes! All have fun memories attached to them too! *winks*
      Yes, is kids and Daddy loved listening to the audio books about the Sacketts on vacations! ;) Circle C Adventures is a awesome series! And the Pony Pals were so fun! Yes, I didn't like reading until I got to be 12 years old or so... but now I LOVE reading! *grins*
      Thanks! And be sure to leave assumptions if you have any! :)

      Delete
    2. There is audio books about the Sacketts? I think we should get some! They would be so fun to listen to on road trips! *laughs*

      Delete
  3. Ooh, childhood books!! I enjoy children's books so much! I was actually just recently thinking about books from my childhood, and even reading through some of them again. :D
    The Boxcar Children and the Sisters in Time series were favorites of mine as well! I didn't get to reading all of the Sisters in Time books when I was younger, but not too long ago I read a couple of them that I hadn't read before, which was fun! Another series that I loved reading growing up was the American Girl historical books. I'm actually currently rereading back through the books about Kirsten, who was one of my favorite American Girl characters, and it's been so much fun to go back and read them again and think about those good memories from reading it when I was a little girl. ^_^

    Fun post! (I might just borrow this idea for a post on my blog, who knows... xD) I'll have to check out some of these other books you listed! :)
    I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with your blog very much recently. Your posts are always great, and I hope I'll be able to have more time to read and comment more.
    Hope you've been doing well and are having a great summer, Brooklyne! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, and I was supposed to make some assumptions about you... ;)
      I assume that...
      -Your favorite color is red or yellow.
      -You've always been a bit of a tomboy.
      -Summer is your favorite season.
      -Historical fiction/non-fiction is your favorite genre of books and movies.
      -You're a pretty organized person.
      -You write every day.
      -You want to homeschool your own kids one day.


      Delete
    2. Children's books are the best! Both of those series are so good! It's fun to remember back when you read these books isn't it!?!

      Thanks! Yes, go for it, I'd love to read your post about childhood books! Oh, no worries... but I'm glad you stopped by and commented! <3

      I hope you are having a AWESOME summer and thanks so much for the assumptions! I can't wait to answer them in a post soon! :)

      Delete
  4. The boxcar children was my childhood too! <3

    ASSUMPTIONS:

    -Your favorite color is red or blue?
    -You love horses
    -You'd rather live in the country than in the city
    -You love adventures but dislike change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun!!

      Thanks for the assumptions!! I can't wait to answer them! You are actually pretty spot on! *wink wink*

      Delete
  5. Assumptions:
    -You love frozen hot chocolate drinks
    -You like reading Louis L'Amour
    -Horses are your favorite animals
    -You don't eat meat
    -You the second to the oldest

    There you have it! *grins* I hope these are some fun assumptions. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love these! Thanks for assuming! Can't wait to write that post! ;)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad! You're welcome! I can't wait to read it!! *winks*

      Delete
  6. This was a fun post to read! I've read the Pony Pals, The Boxcar Children, Circle C Adventures, and Goldtown Adventures. And thanks for posting on the other books, too- I may need to check them out for my siblings or for myself! ;)

    Hmm... assumptions? Here are a few. :)
    1. Your favorite breed of horses is Morgans.
    2. You would rather be outside than inside.
    3. You love drawing, painting, and designing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly!! All of those are fun books!

      Thanks bunches for the assumptions! *winks*

      Delete
  7. Assumptions:
    ~ You LOVE Frozen Hot Chocolate Drinks
    ~ You like eating healthy
    ~ You like writing poetry
    ~ You enjoy blogging -- a lot, XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. PONY PALS!!!! One of my first "writing" adventures was basically copying by hand all the Pony Pal books and putting the names of me and my friends and our horses in place of all the character's names, lol

    Assumptions??

    Horses are your favorite animals.
    You prefer Western over English and bareback over Western. :)
    Red is your fave color.
    Probably wear flannel and denim more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Pony Pals were one of my favorites! Oh my, that's funny...! XD

      Thanks for these assumptions!!!

      Delete
  9. The Box Car Children are so good! 😃

    Some assumptions...

    You like drawing.
    You like to cook.
    Your the dare devil of your family.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are! ;)

      Thanks for assuming about me! *winks*

      Delete
  10. I love this post, Brooklyne!! :D
    Yes, the Boxcar Children are so fun! My dad used to read those to us kids. So many fun memories.
    The Concord Cunningham books are great too. We used to read those after dinner as a family.
    Circle C is Amazing and I’ve actually only read the first Goldtown book, but I want to finish the series sometime soon!
    I’ve read two Sisters in Time books.
    I’ll definitely have to check out some of these other books/series you mentioned. :)
    The Love Finds You books are great!

    Okay, now for some assumptions:
    You prefer baking to cooking
    In the summertime you’d rather go barefoot
    You love animals
    Summer is your favorite season
    You’ve yet to read all the Circle C Milestones
    While making food you’d rather improvise then follow the recipe exactly
    If you were to travel out of the USA you’d probably choose to go to Europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked this post!!
      Aw, yes, memories with childhood books are my favorite!
      All of those you mentioned are so good! <3

      Thanks for the assumptions!! I can't wait to post the answers on Monday! :)

      Delete