Monday, September 16, 2019

Contest Winners!




First off, I'd like to say a HUGE thank you to all who entered my 100th Post Flash Fiction Contest! All the entries I got were spectacular! For the age group 10-17 I got five entries!! And for the 18+ age group, I got four entries!

After much thought put into grading everyone's flash fiction pieces, all three judges (Thanks mom, big sis, and lil sis) have come to the conclusion of winners in both age groups!

I'm sure ya'll are excited to find out who won, so let the scrolling begin!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
AND 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
THE 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
WINNER(S)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
ARE
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
*DRUMROLL*
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Ages 10-17: Molly Anne
Ages 18+: Faith G.


Congratulations, girls!!!

I loved reading your stories! I will be emailing you shortly so that I can send you your prizes! Each of you have won a bar of my goats milk soap, three scrunchies, and a mystery prize! Congrats again, and thank you for entering my 100th post Flash Fiction Contest! 

Now who want's to read these winning entries? 

Molly Anne's flash fiction piece: (This story is a special one. I wrote it fall of 2018 for my sister. She creates absolutely beautiful and amazing items for so many little children- she gave me the inspiration to write this story.)

Show His Love

Excited, squealing kids swarmed around us and the yaks that carried the OCC shoeboxes. We began opening and passing out the individual boxes and placing them in the children’s waiting arms. As I looked past the sea of smiling faces, I saw a little girl, about three years old, peeking out from behind a tree. She watched the commotion with wide, dark eyes. She looked like she wanted a box, but was hesitant to come near the excited jumble of kids.

I searched through the pile of boxes on the ground, grabbed a box from the girls’ 2-4 section, removed the tape, and walked toward the little girl. She crept from behind the tree, and moved in front of it and sat down. She watched me, hungrily looking at the box.

Just looking at the small girl brought a soft smile to my face. I sat down next to her, and gently handed her the box.

She made a small noise of excitement, and opened the box. She spotted a doll, wrapped up in a fuzzy, adorable, turquoise and multi-colored blanket. A joyful squeal erupted from the little girl. Gently, but excitedly, she lifted out the doll. She stared at the baby doll, then placed it in her arms and held it close, a happy smile on her face.

After holding the doll for several moments, she then continued to unwrap the other contents of the box, excitement still evident in her face. The items included: a toothbrush, a washcloth, soap, a puzzle, and a beautiful headband; not to mention other things. She loved it all, although her favorite item was definitely the doll. She held the doll like she would never let go. After a few moments, she looked up at me, smiled, and whispered, “Thank you”.

This was what it meant to show the love of Jesus. I had never seen it expressed in such a way before. I loved handing out the shoeboxes, gazing into those beautiful eyes; watching them light up as they open their box. It fills you with a joy that cannot be expressed in words. I would not give up this experience for the world.

~~~

Faith's flash fiction piece: (This story was inspired by Psalm 91:11 and Hebrews 13:2)

The Forth Man

"God will protect you. You will see, Amalie."
     "I wish I could believe that, Mother."
   
     A rough hand ripped the blindfold off my face. I blinked, taking in the beauty of sight once again. I noted four men at the campsite: The two who held up the stagecoach and captured me; a chunky, older-looking one; and one lone man crouched down by the campfire. The chunky man, apparently the outfit's leader, looked me over with a crooked grin.
     "Good work, gentleman. I'm sure your uncle will be more than happy to pay for your safe return, Miss De Bois. Tie her up."
     "My uncle?" The two stage robbers grabbed my arms. "B-but," I managed. "My name is Amalie Mundy, not De Bois. I've only traveled out here to teach school in Manitou..."
     "Teach School!" The leader guffawed, along with his two partners who were now tying my hands and waist around a nearby tree. Their leader turned toward the campfire. "Ya hear that, Big Mike? Everett Debois, richest man this side of the Rockies... his niece is a little ol' schoolteacher!"
     The fourth man crouched by the fire now stood up slowly, his height exceeding the chunky man's by at least a foot. His mouth stayed in a steady line.
     "Oh, well, Mike," the chunky man said, laughter still lingering in his voice. He turned back toward me. "I reckon you can't expect a man to obtain our sense of humor in just two days. You'll get used to our work soon enough."
     Big Mike rested both hands on the end of his rifle. "I don't plan to get used to it."
     The chunky man turned back around. "Oh, now, Big Mike, what are you talking abou..."
     My eyes widened. Big Mike now had the rifle pointed right at his leader.
     "Untie her."
     A few moments later, I found myself being hoisted up onto Big Mike's horse, and the three outlaws tied in my place. "I know'd we shouldn't a trusted 'im!" was the last thing I heard of the rogues as we rode toward town.
     Big Mike let me down beside the main road at the edge of the town of Manitou. He stayed seated on his horse.
     "You can inform the sheriff about the outlaws," he said. "I have other business to attend to."
     All this time, I hadn't found any words to say. But now, I finally found my voice. "Oh, yes, I will. Thank you... very much, Mr. Mike, I... I don't know how I can ever repay you."
     "You don't have to."
     "But... I owe you my life."
     He smiled slightly, shaking his head. "You only owe God that."
     I looked carefully into his face. "Why should I owe God that? You were the one who saved me from those outlaws. I don't see what you mean." Just then, a wagon rushed by, and I turned to look.
     "You will see, Amalie."
     I swirled back around at the familiar words. He was gone.

~~~ 

Thank you all for entering my first contest here on Showers of Blessings! I loved getting to read the entries and it was so fun to host this contest! This was a lot of fun! And trust me, there will be more contests in the future! 

Aren't the winning flash fiction pieces just awesome! Did you enjoy this contest? Would you like to see more contests in the future? Comment Below! <3 



19 comments:

  1. Wow both stories are great!! I think another contest would be fun.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are aren't they?! I was glad I wasn't the judge, because I would have had a hard time picking my favorite! <3
      I am definitely going to do another contest sometime!

      Delete
  2. These stories are amazing! Congrats, girls! Both stories are very well written and very smoothly finished. I really like how Faith's story had such a smooth, natural feel for a western. More contests would be so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, thank you so much!! This contest was a lot of fun -- thank you for doing it, Brooklyne, and thanks to your mom and sisters for judging! :D
    And Congrats to Molly Anne! Her story was very touching and well-written. I really liked it! <3
    (Also, I think it would be great to see more contests like this in the future. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on winning! I loved reading your story! You did such a good job with it!! <3 Both you and Molly's flash fiction pieces were amazing!
      (Yes! Me too!)

      Delete
  4. Nice stories!! I never did get around to entering. Sorry! *hides face* I was a little busy and didn't know if I dared. *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (also, I did a post asking some of you guys to ask me some questions. If you feel like it, you should pop over and ask a few. I'd really appreciate it.)

      Delete
    2. I totally understand! Life gets busy sometimes! Especially with school...

      (I stopped by your blog and asked some questions!)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Thanks so much Brooklyne! <3 <3
    Your story is awesome, Faith! :)
    Thanks for the comments, you all! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, everyone! Those stories were great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I loved getting to read all the entries for the contest! :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to the winners! :)
    I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to enter. Hopefully I can if you do another one. :)

    ReplyDelete