Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Catching the horizon // Flash Fiction



Happy Wednesday, peeps! I am really excited (and slightly nervous) to share with you a piece of my writing! I have posted snippets of my writing before, but never Flash Fiction. Well, that changes today! I wrote this story for a contest that Melissa hosted a while ago... it did not place, but she gave me some very helpful tips to improve! Then, I also entered it in a contest hosted by, Izzy West, but again, it did not place. Even though this story didn't win any contests, I still really like this piece of flash fiction!

I'm hoping to post short stories and flash fiction more often, so let me know if you like this post in the comments! I'd love to hear your feedback! 


Catching the Horizon
1930

The horizon far off in the distance was hazy on the shining waters. Blues and whites stood dull against the vibrant colors of the rising sun and its beauty beckoned the thirteen year old girl to venture off on the peaceful waters. If she could, she would travel by boat to a place far away from where she lived. 

To a place of new beginnings and not of dirt, grime, and filth. A place of peace and not of mounting desperation. A place where she could thrive and not just barely survive. 

The only reason she must continue on with living was for her little brother who needed someone to look after him. The Great Depression was hard on everyone, but it hit her family with a blow that was bound to leave a deep dent in their lives. It already had. Her mother had died last winter and her father had been killed when caught in a riot, leaving the two siblings alone in this big city. Times were even harder on her little brother, Brody, when medication was as scarce as finding a filling meal. 

Everly Mae Robertson turned away from the waters that called her from this retched city. She trotted the dusty cobblestone streets to the soup kitchen where thousands lined to be served cold, watery soup and stale bread. Tapping her tattered shoe impatiently, she inched along as the line got shorter. She needed to hurry back to Brody before he awoke in another coughing fit and a blistering fever. When it was finally her turn, she drank a small sip of soup then stuffed a slice of crumbly bread into her dirty skirt pocket for her brother. 

On her return trip to the filthy alleyway where they camped, two boys about her age tried to steel her bread.

"Give it over!" the bigger boy demanded, his tone cold and heartless-- or just hungry. He lunged for her piece of bread, but she side-stepped him.

In her attempt to flee, the other bully grabbed at her sleeved wrist. Pain shot up her arm from his death-grip and she gritted her teeth to conceal her scream. Everly followed her first instinct and stomped hard on the boys foot. This is Brody's meal, not yours! Her thoughts raced faster than her beating heart. 

As soon as the boy loosened his grip, hollering at her for the pain she caused, she narrowly escaped their clutches as she ran deeper into the throng of city people. It was moments like that when she was thankful for a scrawny body and a scrappy mentality.

When she got to where she had left her brother, her breathing had finally slowed from the narrow escape moments before. Everly sidestepped a stray dog and her heart felt crushed for the little animal. She knew how it felt: alone in a alleyway, hungry for each meal.

“Brody, wake up.” She whispered and gently shook her brothers shoulders. Everly Mae crouched beside his sleeping form where she had left him behind a pile of rusty barrels in the alleyway… their so-called home. 

Brody startled awake, rubbing his watery eyes, “I’m hungry Evy.” 

The moan of pain from his parched lips was not overlooked by Everly and she bit back tears of her own. She handed him the bread that she had saved from the two bullies. 

“I’m sorry it isn’t much.” She regretted not taking more than her share of the food.

“It’s ok, Evy. I’m thankful for it,” Brody said with a small bite, “I’m even more thankful for you, ya know. I don’t know what I would do without you.” 

Everly ruffled his curly red hair. Her brother was very mature for his ten years, “And I don’t know what I would do without you. We make a good team.”

His reply was interrupted by a coughing fit and Everly’s heart ached to take away his pain and bear it herself. She would do anything for her brother. 

Her thoughts returned to the view at the boat docks. She pondered out loud, “Do you ever think we will catch the horizon, Brody?”

He seemed to understand what she meant and nodded, “Yes, Evy. Someday we will.”

The End. 



Sooo, thoughts? How did you like reading this flash fiction story? 
Would you be totally excited to read more stories that I write?? 
Let me know/vote in the comments! 






17 comments:

  1. I really like it! It was a good story:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so good! *grins* (much better than mine *sad face* Have you read the fourth chapter yet?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it! And btw, I really enjoyed reading your forth chapter! <3

      Delete
  3. Great piece of flash fiction, Brooklyne! Awesome job! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I love sibling relationships!!!) :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Molly!! I love sibling relationships too! I seem to always include them in my writing! XD

      Delete
  4. Hey! Thanks for putting my blog on your sidebar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice story!
    I see my blog on the side bar, cool thanks. I want to do something like that too, I've just been so busy. ;)

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, this is SUCH sweet story! I love the siblings and their relationship.
    Wonderful job, Brooklyne! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked reading it!! I love writing about siblings! XD

      Delete
  7. I love this, Brooklyne!! I would totally love to read more of your stories!!! :D

    ReplyDelete