Monday, September 2, 2019

ASI 2019 // Meeting a online friend for the first time!!!!!!!!


Sooooo, I did it.

I met a online friend for the first time EVER! Guys, I got to meet one of my very best blogger friends for the first time in person!!

Exactly one month ago (how time flies!) I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to meet face to face with Jessica! When I knew she was going to be in America (She lives in Australia) for awhile, I thought it would be super cool to get to meet her, but then I never thought it would happen.

But... God likes to blow our minds with His amazingness! Just like He orchestrated Jess and I to meet online a year and a half ago, He also made it possible for us to meet in person! God is good, y'all.

Lets rewind back when I first "met" Jessica for the first time. I hadn't even started Showers of Blessing yet, but I was gathering information about blogging and how it all worked. I emailed three people (who's blogs I had come across before I knew of the blogosphere) and the first to respond to my questions about blogging was Jessica. Jess was so nice to me when she replied to my email and her encouragement was what I needed to start this blog. Soon after, we started emailing off and on and found out that we have a TON in common! She and her sister, Rachel, are truly sisters in Christ, though miles and miles apart.

^^ Taking notes and also hand-lettering

I will never forget the email she sent me on my 18th birthday. We had been emailing and I had told her how I wasn't really excited to be a "adult" and how I didn't have anything figured out regarding what I wanted to do when I graduated.

She told me and I quote, "... So when you feel like everyone else has it together, your the only one struggling; we really don't know what we're doing, and you aren't alone. We are all on the Journey together! And God has promised to supply everything we need (Phil. 4:19) and that totally included the strength and wisdom required for adulating and all it's challenges. :) Thanking God that He made our paths meet through blogging, and praying for special blessings on your birthday, friend. Love, Jessica"

I have that message written on a 3x5 card tucked in my journal on the page I wrote for my birthday.

Sometimes God does allow paths to cross for a purpose, and I am so blessed to have had my path crossed with Jessica's. I'm so glad to call Jess a blogging friend! <3

Just this past May, we got to talking and she was excited to share that she was going on a trip across the USA! I was super excited for her and how God was working in her life. Then, in June she told me about a convention she was going to be at come August. When I found out it was going to be only a few hours from my home, I got a bit excited that maybe it was possible for us to meet up. I toyed with the idea for a few weeks.

^^ #sunsetsaremyhappyplace

Ok, I more than just toyed with the idea, I tossed it back and forth for days... On one hand, I saw this awesome opportunity in front of me. I really wanted to meet up because now was my chance. But then, on the other hand, I was scared. Meeting a online friend was so unknown to me. It was going to be WAY outside of my comfort zone. Miles and miles outside of my comfort zone. Your talking about this shy blogger over here who only has a handful of close friends. In my mind, I doubted. I told myself that when we met, I'd freeze up and not be able to get any words out. It would be safer if I just stayed home and just be satisfied with video chats.

Guys, I was so unsure of this, and then I asked myself a question, "If I don't take this opportunity, will I always wonder what it could have been like?" So that moment, I knew I had to trust God with it and take this opportunity. Because if the worse thing that could go wrong was me being my awkward self, then I could live with that.

So I messaged Jessica on July 14th and told her that if she was still going to the convention, that me and my older sister were thinking about driving down so we could meet up. I had never gone on a road trip with just my older sister so that in and of itself was also exciting and unknown.

^^ Sissy and I catching the sunset

I am so blessed to have a mom and dad like I do, because they really encouraged me and made it possible for us to go on this short trip.

On July 31st, me and Sissy headed out on our road trip. We had a blast on the way down, listening to the radio, eating snacks we got, and just talking. Once we got into the "big city" (mind you, we are two country gals who aren't use to all the traffic and people!!) it was a bit stressful finding where to park in the parking garage. But we figured it out. That evening, we got registered in our hotel as well as the convention center. Our hotel room had a really cool view overlooking the water and one of my highlights of the trip was watching the sunset each night!

^^ My suitcase and computer bag

The next day, Thursday, we had breakfast at the convention, then walked around the exhibits for a little while. I messaged Jessica and we planned to meet up at the exhibit area entrance, so me and Sissy sat down for a while to gather our "free stuff" (we got lots of pens, a water bottle, t-shirt, etc!)

When I saw Jessica coming, I was so excited and nervous to finally meet her in person! We ended up walking around the exhibit area some more and got our picture taken at a photo booth thing. Also, note to self: I didn't freeze up like I thought I would. We decided to get lunch and ate at Panera Bread. That's when I also got to meet a couple of Jessica's friends who were on the trip with her.

We met up after lunch for a evening seminar, and got to talk a little after that before me and Sissy had to go to dinner at the convention. (Which I was happily surprised that dinner was really good! ...breakfast wasn't my favorite. XD) After dinner, we went back to the hotel room for a little while and then walked down by the water to catch the sunrise.

^^ Breakfast on Friday

After watching the sunset, we decided to go to a youth rooftop thing at our hotel. We met Jess and her friends there. We only stayed for about 20-30 minutes before we decided to head back to our room.

The next day, Sissy and I got Starbucks for breakfast. I had a frozen hot chocolate and a slice of lemon pound cake. (Which was amazing, btw!) After another seminar-- which I may do a blog post from my notes-- we decided we needed to head home because we had a nursing home program scheduled for the next morning. We met up one last time to say goodbye to Jessica, before we headed out.

^^ Jess and I 
(note: I don't have red hair, but this picture makes it look like I do!) 

On our way back home, we were able to take one more walk around the city (and ride one of those scooter things!) and walk on this really cool bridge!

Overall, I am so glad we went on this short but sweet adventure! This trip was unforgettable for me. It was a great experience and a great opportunity that I'm so glad I didn't pass up.

Have you ever met a online friend?
 What is one time that you really saw God orchestrating your life? 
Comment below! 




26 comments:

  1. That is so cool!! I'm so glad you had this opportunity<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a super great opportunity! Not everyday do you get to meet a friend who lives across the globe! <3

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy that you had the opportunity to meet Jessica in person! :) That's also super fun that you got to go on a road trip with your sister!
    I loved seeing all the pictures. :)
    I met an online friend once. Hopefully I'll get to meet you someday!! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never forget that trip! And going with Sissy was a blast! We had such a good time together!!
      Ah! Yes, that would be so fun! <33

      Delete
  3. That is really cool!
    I think if I ever met an online friend, I would just freeze up and do nothing. XD I'm pretty shy... *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Hehe, yes. I am so so shy too. *wink wink* :)

      Delete
  4. It was really cool reading your side of the story to meeting Jessica. I wish I was there too but maybe next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun trip and a great experience for me! <3 Going into that city with just me and Sissy and not the rest of the fam was a crazy feeling... it was so outside of my comfort zone that praying became as important as breathing! But God watched over us and we had a awesome time! Ahh, I wish you could have been there too, and Lord willing, we will meet up someday! <33

      Delete
  5. Met a bunch of online friends at RM this year. So awesome that you got to do the same!!!!

    Road trips are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy! And that's so cool that you also got to meet some of your blogger friends!! XD

      YES! Aren't they a blast!?!

      Delete
  6. Ahhhh, this is so cool!
    I've only met one online friend and it was amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading about my adventure, Gray!
      Hey, that's awesome! I'm so glad!!

      Delete
  7. OH MY GOODNESS! That's so exciting! So happy for you both! I have been following Jess for a while now and this is so sweet! Glad it was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It was totally exciting! I'm so glad we got to meet! <3

      Delete
  8. That's SO AWESOME Brooklyne!!! =D Maybe one day I shall be able to meet up with some blogger folk! It sounds really fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was!! XD That would be super cool!! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  9. That's so exciting! I've always dreamed of meeting an online friend!
    Laura
    flowersinmybasket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great opportunity! And turned out to be a lot of fun too!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like an awesome adventure!! That would be so cool to meet an online friend. :)

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a awesome adventure! Way outside of my comfort zone, but me and my sister did great in the big city! Better than I thought! ;)

      Delete
  11. That's so cool! I'm so glad you took that awesome opportunity. I bet you both had a fabulous time meeting up! <3

    I did met an online friend a few years ago that I had met on a writing forum for a homeschool curriculum. We started chatting on there and found out that we actually lived around the same area! We met up once at a play that she was performing in, which was super awesome! Unfortunately, I'm not on that writing forum anymore, and we kind of lost contact since then. D: But, you posting about this reminded me that I should really try to contact her again. So -- thanks for the reminder! :)

    This also reminds me about an idea I had a while back of having a Christian bloggers meetup... It would be so cool if something like that could really happen!

    So happy for you, Brooklyne! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too! <3

      Oh that's cool! Yes, you should reconnect with each other! Online friends are pretty awesome! :)

      That would be fun! ;)

      Delete
  12. Meeting online friends is always so much fun! 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! How many online friends have you met up with?

      Thanks for stopping by, Eliza! <3

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure...there've been a few people I had mutual friends with that I connected with on social media then we met in person. There were several people I connected with briefly through a writer's conference FB group before meeting them at the conference. I guess only one fellow blogger that I actually got to know semi-well before meeting him in person.

      Delete