Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Freedom // Book Review


Today, I will be reviewing one of my favorite indie-published books of 2019. Freedom by Faith Potts

Where to begin? Freedom was one of those books that gripped your heart and held on until the very last page. This was one of my most anticipated books of 2019 and it did not disappoint! I was over the moon excited to receive Freedom in the mail and I read it over one weekend. (Ask my sister, she can attest!) In fact, she knew I was so excited, waiting for it to come in the mail. When it came, she hid it and took me on a four wheeler ride then had me close my eyes when she handed it to me. XD

Note: mild spoilers ahead.

Now to start the review, lets begin with the characters...

➳The Characters: 

James was a broken Marine who tried to hide behind a layer of humor. As if by making a joke about his situation it would lesson his pain. At first, this humor rubbed me the wrong way as I felt it was harsh, then when I got into his head a bit more, I realized it was just his way of dealing with the grief. Then, I felt for him as he struggled both mentally and physically. As well as spiritually. But He overcame many things and in the end, found love and grace.

*cough* Um, I totally shipped James and Alex! They made such a cute couple... quite perfect for one another! Their love story was portrayed well, and was really just the sweetest thing.

I didn't relate much with Alex until towards the middle of the book. She had such a kind heart, but at first, she seemed a bit controlling. Once I saw who she really was instead of the mask she wore in hopes she wouldn't get hurt, then I really loved her character! 

And can I just say that everyone needs a Uncle Joe in their life! Someone who is always offering a listening hear, able to give wisdom, and genuine love and support. 

Basically, I loved how all of the characters had their own individual personalities and quirks. Did I mention how much I love this book? 

➳Moving on to the message/theme: 

To me, the message was about not giving up on life and learning to surrender to God. To let Him into our shattered hearts and let Him heal our brokenness. Also about forgiveness (to both the main characters parents.) It was a much-needed message, one that was strong, yet didn't come across too preachy. Bravo, Miss Potts! <3 

➳My favorite scenes: 

Well, all of them! But a few that stood out to me was the dancing one, a Walmart trip, the cute selfie session, and the 5k race. I personally love running in 5k's, so that was really cool to see in a book!

I gave this book 5 stars and it deserves 5 thousand stars! I would recommend Freedom to anyone, although suicide is a theme (but handled very well) so keep that in mind if you are really sensitive in that area. 

Have you ever read Freedom? Have you read any other books by Faith? 
Comment Below! 

Many Blessings 
Brooklyne Elysse 

17 comments:

  1. I've been looking forwards to reading this book, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet! I've read Dandelion Dust by Faith Potts and really enjoyed it, so I'm sure this one will be good as well!!

    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You totally should! Dandelion Dust was such a good one too!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this book sounds so good! (or maybe it's just the way to write about it xP ) It sounds like you love it. *sticks tongue out*
    A book that I really like, that I just found is, "Love Me Tender" by Janice Hanna. Every read it? It's adorable. <3 It made my heart flutter. *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!! *winks*
      I’ll have too look that one up! <3

      Delete
    2. Oh wait, I have seen that one and it’s on my TBR pile! ;)

      Delete
    3. Really? make sure you tell me how you liked it! *winks*

      Delete
  3. I've heard about her books, but haven't gotten around to reading one yet...really should get this on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of my favorite books from 2019 also! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freedom *heart eyes* Behold and Dandelion Dust were good too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I had been planning on getting that book, and your review has convinced me even more. Sounds like a REALLY good book. I've read one of Faith's other books and she's a really good writer. Was excited for this Release

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely review, Brooklyne! Freedom is a really great book. :)

    ReplyDelete