Monday, May 11, 2020

Self Care Tips from a Amateur


Y'all. This is a tough topic for me. The thing is, I'm not good at self care.

But I do believe taking care of our bodies and minds is truly important (though so often neglected.) It is vital to be good stewards of our bodies. Therefore, today, I bring you Self Care Tips from a Amateur (me!)

1. Breathe 

Just. Breathe.
When you feel the stress coming on, take a moment and do some deep breathing. Hold it in for four seconds, then blow air out for four seconds. There are so many benefits to deep breathing but one of them is it lowers your blood pressure and decreases stress.

2. Positive thoughts

Thoughts are so important to mental health. Thoughts--what we allow into our minds--can either make us or break us. When we allow negative thoughts to take us captive, we will become angry and depressed. But if we turn our thoughts around, we have the ability to also turn our frown upside down. It's all in how we look at things.

With positive thinking, "I hate doing the dishes," turns into, "I glad for the ability to wash dishes, and I'm glad for the food that was eaten off these dishes, and I'm glad for the health that the food provided my family."

You get the point. And I think everyone already knows how good positive thoughts can effect us. So why is it so hard to actually practice? I don't know, but I do know that the more we practice positive thoughts, the more we will get accustomed to thinking in positive ways instead of falling into the negative thought patterns.

3. Workout

Not only are you caring for your body when you workout, but you are also channeling some energy into something that will make you feel productive and so much stronger!
But workout the smart way, don't go and hurt your body by trying to lift too much. Work your way up to your goals. And if you need any workout advice, comment below!

4. Shower

Just take a shower. (Preferably after your workout...) Keeping a clean appearance is not only great for the people who are around you, but also one of the best forms of self care!

5. Eat your greens & stay hydrated 

What we put into our bodies as fuel is extremely important. My family has found this out the hard way, and eating a healthy lifestyles has been the ultimate struggle of hopping on and off the healthy eating "wagon."

Greens, berries, and grains are some of the amazing power foods for heart health.
It's recommended 2 cups raw greens, or 1 cup cooked for a daily serving. Recommended 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries, or 1/4 cup dried for a daily serving.

Also, drink your water! It's recommended that you get half of your body weight in ounces.

(Remember, self care is loving yourself enough to take care of your health.)

6. Take free time

When I was a kid, I'd make detailed schedules for my day (most likely, they never got fully completed because my time slots were pretty non flexible, lol.) But, I'd always put "free time" after my schoolwork was done.
And now, I realize that "free time" is actually a great form of self care. Throughout your busy day, give yourself a recess every once in awhile. Take 15, 30, or 60 minutes of just plain free time. Give yourself a break. Set your timer and do whatever you like doing in free time, then get back to work. Free time allows you to recharge for the remainder of you day.

7. Declutter your space

Trust me, you'll feel so much better! And you'll sleep better too! Tidy the house, clean your bathroom, make your bed, sweep the floor, all the while rocking out to some oldies while you do so! Keeping your living space free from clutter is a huge task, but one that is worth it once things are put in order. It's best to take time each day and do something to declutter. Otherwise, it can get overwhelming.

8. Do something fun

Sometimes, you just need to do something that is fun. Something that makes you excited. Something that brings you happiness. Pamper yourself. Do something creative.
If all you do is work, work, work. That is not good self care at all...

9. Fresh air

Get outside. Do yourself a favor and get some Vitamin D. Soak up that sunshine and breath in that fresh air. Go for a walk, get the mail, go for a four wheeler ride, explore the woods. Garden, mow the lawn, play volleyball. Just do something that requires you to go outside and enjoy nature!

10. Read your Bible

I'm awful at this form of self care. But just because I'm awful at this, doesn't mean I can't try my best to get better at reading my Bible. Make time for Bible reading (and not just reading, but studying) because that connection you make with Jesus is going to get you through your day.

How do you care for yourself? Do you have any more Self Care tips to add to my list? Comment below with one thing you like to do in your "free time"!

Many Blessings,
Brooklyne Elysse

20 comments:

  1. This is great! I like to ride in my free time, even though I don't have horses. My every day freetime includes sketching, making jewelry, going on blogs, and watching YouTube.
    Sometimes I get so caught up in what I'm doing, I don't focus on what my body needs. I tend to get super stressed because I feel like I won't get important tasks done. I have gotten better this week(yes, I know, it seems like a short time) but really taking time to relax helps. If you don't get something done, it's not that important, you are more important than a silly project that may be giving you nightmares. Take some time for you during quarantine.
    Sorry about the long comment, I may have gotten a bit carried away...<333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes! Those are great things to do!
      Taking time to recharge is so important in the world we live in because everyone is going consistently and never truly learning how to Rest.
      Thanks for commenting, Leah!

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, Brooklyne. <3
    I love all you tips. Especially #2 and #10. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I like to clean my room and go o bakeries for fun. (and hang out with friends!)
    I would only add one more thing that is on my list. Be limited on screens. If you have free time don't use it all up on your computer. Go outside, draw, etc.
    Thanks!
    ~SawyerMarie
    Sundropgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Great ideas! Being productive is really important. Ah, yes, doing things other than spending time on our screens is a amazing way to self care! Thanks for sharing and commenting. <3

      Delete
  4. Yes, I like these tips Brooklyne! Sometimes we can get so busy completing tasks or doing schoolwork that we forget to relax and be beautiful for the Lord.

    ~ Jemima

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all these tips!
    I've been doing a ten day bible reading challenge. Sometimes I need a challenge to get me back into doing things. :)

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you found this post helpful!
      Oh, neat! Sounds like a great way to get back into the Word. <3

      Delete
  6. Great tips! Thx for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, Brooklyne!! <3 I read it on Monday when I was feeling a bit stressed. It helped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these suggestions! I love to workout and find it such a great release. Yeah, even what may seem like simple things like showering and keeping your room clean can make you feel so much better. And I think we often forget the impact reading God's Word each day can have.
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad! Totally, working out is such a great outlet!
      Yes, it really can... sometimes it’s the simple things. Thanks for reading and commenting, Sarah!

      Delete
  9. This is a great list! I do all of these things for self-care and to stay healthy, but I do have difficulties with 1, 2 and 6. Especially 6 lately, I've been a bit of a workaholic. I always feel like I need to be doing some productive and haven't been giving myself the free time I need.

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Melody!
      Ah, yeah... same here! But it’s so good to give ourselves time to recharge. <3

      Delete
  10. Great tips! I'm working on my self care too.

    ReplyDelete