Wednesday, November 3, 2021

A View Most Glorious // Book Review



I'm back with another book review! I hope you 
like reading my thoughts on A View Most Glorious by Regina Scott!

Back of the book blurb: 

Headstrong Coraline Baxter has worked all her life to be more than the spoiled socialite others expect. When her fellow suffragettes in Tacoma, Washington, suggest that she should climb to the top of Mount Rainier to prove that a woman can do anything, she instantly resolves to do it. And if she can climb Mount Rainier, her mother promises to stop pressuring her to get married to the wealthy Cash Kincaid. All Cora needs is a guide to get her to the top of the mountain.

Nathan Hardee may look like a mountain man, but he once ruled the halls of high society. He left all that behind after his father broke under financial pressure from Kincaid. To best Kincaid now, Nathan agrees to guide Cora up the mountain.

Climbing Rainier will require all of Cora's strength and will lead her and Nathan to rediscover their faith in God and humanity. These two loners make unlikely p
artners in righting a wrong and may just discover that only together is the view most glorious.

My Review: 

 3.5 star!

After reading A Distance Too Grand back in August 2020, I wasn’t sure if I should give this series another try. A Distance Too Grand fell short of my expectations, however, A View Most Glorious may have redeemed the series for me. 


A View Most Glorious was a story about new-found faith, determination, and choosing love for love, not based off of financial security. 


The Characters. 


Coraline Baxter was a fun character who didn’t back down from a challenge. I liked her grit and her willingness to fight for a cause she believed in. I also like how her view of faith shifted throughout the book to more of a relationship with God and less of a keep-up-appearance based faith. The reasoning for her actually setting out to climb Mount Rainier was slightly far fetched in my opinion, but it made for a exciting plot. I wished the actual climbing had taken more of the storyline, it only lasted a couple chapters.


Nathan Hardee. Nathan was a down to earth kind of guy. I really appreciated how he decided to leave society life to find a life with more meaning and purpose. I really liked both characters’ love of nature, but his especially stood out to me. He made time to be quiet in nature and soak in the beauty around him. Other than that, his character didn’t really stand out to me. I did like the backstory to his character and how he made amends with his past.


One side character that I must spotlight is Waldo! He was awesome. Kinda reminded me of Gabby Hayes in Roy Rogers. He spoke his mind and meant well. I liked reading the scenes where Waldo was in it. I also liked Mr Winston. Even though he was too laid back for his own good, he was really encouraging to Cora and was a good step father.


Two characters that especially bugged me were: Mrs. Winston and Cash Kincaid. Ugh, don’t even get me started!


The Setting. 


I love mountains so this book had the perfect setting! The descriptions in this book were especially spot on (and slightly exaggerated, but it’s fiction). I loved the history surrounding this location and the debate on what to call the mountain. 


Concluding thoughts.


The story was nothing to have you at he edge of your seat, but it still was a enjoyable read with lots of fun characters, motives, and inspiration. I especially love the cover design and how well it matched the story. I’d recommend this book for those looking for a slightly cliché storyline, fun characters, and descriptions of nature that will have you wanting to explore the outdoors in search of your own alpenstock!


***Thank you Revell Reads for a complementary copy of this book!


~~~



Do you like reading historical fiction? Id so, what has been your most recent read? 
Comment Below! 

Many Blessings, 
Brooklyne Elysse 

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your review! Do you think you’ll end up reading book 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might need to! *winks* All of the covers in that series are so pretty!

      Delete