Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Crosshairs // Book Review

 



NEW TO ME AUTHOR ALERT! This book was another review copy, so if you are a avid reader and love finding new books, read on! But if book reviews aren't your thing, hang around for next weeks guest post! 

*winks* 

~~~

Back of the book: 

"Investigative Services Branch (ISB) ranger Ainsley Beaumont arrives in her hometown of Natchez, Mississippi, to investigate the murder of a three-month-pregnant teenager. While she wishes the visit was under better circumstances, she never imagined that she would become the killer's next target--nor that she'd have to work alongside an old flame.


After he almost killed a child, former FBI sniper Lincoln Steele couldn't bring himself to fire a gun, which had deadly and unforeseen consequences for his best friend. Crushed beneath a load of guilt, Linc is working at Melrose Estate as an interpretive ranger. But as danger closes in on Ainsley during her murder investigation, Linc will have to find the courage to protect her. The only question is, will it be too little, too late?

Award-winning author Patricia Bradley continues her Natchez Trace Park Rangers series with a story about how good must prevail when evil just won't quit."

~~~

⭑⭑⭑⭑✬

4.5 Stars! 


What a ride! Crosshairs was nothing like I expected, yet it captured my attention with realistic characters, mysterious diaries, and a unique location!


The characters. 


Ainsley Beaumont was independent yet knew when to accept help. I loved her role in solving these cases. She was quick on her feet and I liked seeing how her character grew to forgive those who hurt her in her past. Also, her earlier career choice was cool because it’s not often found in the books I’ve read.


Lincoln “Linc” Steele was a really great guy who had his morals straight. I appreciated how he didn’t see his weakness as what defined him and eventually overcame his fear. For a “hero,” the fact that he was vulnerable was a point for his character in my mind. However, I didn’t care for how he handled the attention from the reporter. Since he knew that their relationship wasn’t going anywhere, I feel like he should have stood up for himself sooner.


Cora and Gran were awesome side characters! I love insistent/bossy elderly ladies with strong Christian views. Plus, they were just cute ‘kay? (They vaguely reminded me off the Baldwin sisters in The Waltons, without the moonshine of course!) 


The setting/plot.

 

I had never heard of the Investigative Services Branch Rangers before, but I loved the setting of Natchez, Mississippi. It was eerie enough for the investigation to take place, and yet still held a small town charm. The plot was good! It was suspenseful and kept me guessing what would happen next. There were a few twists and turns with multiple layers of crime investigation. One thing I wasn’t expecting was there to be such short chapters throughout. The book has 71 chapters in all! Most are varied in length, but a few of them for the “bad guys” POV were as short as half a page.


The short chapters didn’t bother me as much as the main reason I took off half a star. There was some twisted plot twists at the end. Without spoilers, there was some mentally ill motives for murder that had me very disturbed and I felt like that was an unnecessary plot extension that was added last minute. Also, I would have liked to see some of the the cases solved without killing off the bad guy(s).


To sum up, this book was exceptionally good for the suspense genre! The romance didn’t feel skin deep and the themes of forgiveness and second changes were meaningful. I look forward to reading more of this series with book 4 in the coming year! 


If you are looking for a Christian suspense novel with action-packed crime solving that will have you reading at 4 a.m. in the morning (true story) then I’d recommend giving Crosshairs a try! 


Plus, I love the book covers in this series side-by-side! 


**Thank you Revell for a complementary copy of this new release! 


What is your favorite suspense book? I've only come across a few that I actually like, but I'll read an occasional suspense book if I get board with Historical fiction. 

Have you read anything by this author? What is your current read? 

Comment below! 


Many Blessings, 

Brooklyne Elysse 

2 comments:

  1. I loved hearing your thoughts on this one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I know I gave it a 4.5 star, but the more I think about it, it’s probably more like a solid 4. I was laying in bed and it hit me that they didn’t finish up a loose end in the storyline... now that’s bugging me. *facepalm*

      Delete