Wednesday, August 5, 2020

10 Tips for a Good Day


Ok, so I had the privilege to guest post on Twin Thoughts a couple months ago, but I thought I'd share these quick tips on my blog as well! 

<<<Ten Tips for a Good Day>>>

First off, we all have different definitions of a “good” day. To me, a good day looks like being productive, working hard, having fun, and finding time for not only the things on our mile long to-do lists but also things that bring us joy. Yeah, that’s all great, but lets face it, not all days are as picture perfect as the one I just described up above. So how do we turn our mundane, normal days into good days? 

I’m happy to be sharing some tips that seem to help me have better days and I hope you can gain something from them too! 

Number One // Choosing an Attitude of Gratitude 

It might sound cheesy, but it’s true. Every good day starts with a good attitude and a positive mindset. So when we make that choice to have an attitude of gratitude (choosing joy, if you will) then we are already setting ourselves up for success and half the battle for a good day is already won.

Some ways to start off with the right attitude are the following: making a list of what your thankful for, take a walk, pray, write a favorite Bible verse on a 3x5 card and stick it in your pocket as a reminder, etc.

Number Two // Prioritizing What’s Most Important 

Decide what’s most important to you and make that your top priority. Whether it be family, your writing, your job, what you’re passionate about, a project you are working on, etc. Find what matters most and don't hesitate to make time for it, even if that means saying “no” to something or someone. Trust me, as a people pleaser myself, I know how hard it is to say that you’ll pass on something in order to keep time open for something more important. But in order to feel productive at the end of your day, you have to prioritize, because you can’t do everything all at once. It isn't healthy to stretch yourself so thin because if you try to do it all, then the things you do won't be done well. 

Number Three // Stop Tearing Yourself Down

How can we have a good day when we are constantly tearing ourselves down? Both physicality (by overworking ourselves) or mentally. Sometimes we are so hard on ourselves that it just ruins the rest of our day. 

The truth is, you're not perfect. You make mistakes. You sleep in. You have a cheat meal. You are late to the meeting. You mess up that painting. You have an awkward introduction. You forgot to do your morning devotion. Whatever the case may be… 
So stop tearing yourself (and others) down and start building yourself up. You make mistakes, but you’re not giving up. You slept in, but you still got up and around so you could tackle your day. You had a cheat meal, but are determined not to make it a cheat week. You were late to that meeting, but you learned for next time to plan ahead. You messed up that painting, but was able to fix it with some creative problem solving. You had an awkward introduction, but it was much more awkward in your head that in reality. You forgot your morning devotion, but decided tomorrow you would try harder. You get the picture!

Stop tearing yourself down, because once you show yourself some grace, your day is going to look a whole lot brighter. 

Number Four // When You Hit the Snooze, A Good Morning You’ll Loose 

I can’t stress enough that mornings are when I feel the most productive. It may just be me, but when I get up with my alarm (and not the annoying snooze that is really just a tease) then I can have a satisfying morning. Morning routines are golden. When you get up, you should know the plan and start your morning. If you don’t know the plan, you’re liable to stay in your pajamas all day… 

In the mornings, I like to workout. When I get a workout in, I feel—well, tired and sore—but also ready and productive. After my workout, I do animal chores and have breakfast. Then I get started on the agenda for the day.

When our mornings are filled with things that will give us energy for the rest of the day, then we will feel so much more productive by the time 3:00 o’clock rolls around and we are starting to slow down and feel less motivated.

Number Five // Block out your time

This one is similar to Number Two. But the cool thing is, you get to decide what you do in a day (well, for the most part.) So take advantage of that and block out your time so you know what needs to be done and when. 

If you need to write but find yourself caught up in other things, block out time for writing. Set a goal that you will write for one hour at 5:00PM. Then when 5:00 o’clock comes around, go sit down and set your timer. 

Blocking time like this can be super helpful for some people, but for others, it doesn’t work as well. Some need more of a flexible schedule. But give it a try and see if it works for you!

Number Six // Make a Manageable List

I like lists. I like making them. I like crossing them off. I’m the kind of person that when I’m in the grocery store and put sometime in the cart that was not on the list, will write it on the list just so I can have the satisfaction of crossing it off. XD

Call me weird, but lists rock! Although I will admit, to-do lists are kinda overwhelming at times. That’s why it’s best if we can keep our to-do lists manageable. Don't put something on the list if you know it’s unrealistic. Make your list, and if you feel it is too long for that day then only pick a few things on the list to do. If you try to do it all, you will be running around like a chicken with its head cut off. We’ve all been there, and it’s not a good feeling.

Number Seven // Conquer Procrastinating and be Intentional 

So you know that thing people call Social Media? Oh… Yeah… that. Sometimes we’d rather be procrastinating online or whatever than to be intentional about what we really need to have happen that day. We are all guilty in this area. We get sidetracked. Then, before you know it, we’re scrolling through Instagram or Facebook or pinning something to Pinterest, or catching up with blog posts or texting a friend. 

It’s hard. To be intentional and to stay focused. But it’s truly worth it. Finding moderation and balance is so important to having a good day.

Number Eight // Don’t Forget to Celebrate

Let’s not call it a bribe… let’s call it celebrating! When you’ve got a lot done on your list and you feel like you’ve been productive, give yourself some free time. Get outside for a walk (or a four wheeler ride!) Have a snack. Watch a short YouTube. Give yourself something to look forward too. Like a mini prize after you’ve worked hard.

Number Nine // Read That Book

Work hard, but never forget to take time to have fun and do something that brings you joy. Many times, when life gets busy, we can so easily edge these things farther and farther out of our days. So make sure to leave room in your day to read that book, watch that movie, create that diy project, take a bath, bake those cookies, etc. 

Give yourself a little bit more than just free time. Do something that gives you joy and fills you with contentment.

Number Ten // Journal and Pray

I love having a journal. I don’t write in it every day, but I love documenting parts of my day, events that are taking place, or just my thoughts. Journaling is something that is meaningful. 

Prayer is so important, and sadly it’s one of the things that I often forget to do. I’m talking about praying more than just before every meal. It’s important to talk to God throughout the day just like we would a friend. Just knowing God has a special plan for each of your days is reason enough to have a good day! So let’s take each day as it comes, and try our best to live in the moment so we can have days that are more than just “good.”

~~~

I hope you enjoyed reading this list! And maybe these ideas can give you ideas on how to have a good day today. Remember, don't bite off more than you can chew, and take each day as it comes. You got this! 

How do you "have a good day"? What is a song that motivates you? If you had to choose, which is your favorite household chore?? Comment below, I'd love to chat with you! 

Many Blessings,
Brooklyne Elysse 

15 comments:

  1. Ahhh journaling is something I really need to get better at *facepalm* I have a journal, and well... I never seem to remember to sit down and write in it (which is a tragedy because I LOVE having something to look back on).

    Any tips on actually sticking to a journaling schedule? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journaling is definitely a habit that must be formed. I really cherish my journals though... you can see so much of things that grow you into who you are.

      Tips: write down big events in your life, write in the evenings, write poems for only you, write down song lyrics that have been speaking to you, write a todo list for the next day, write goals for the next couple months, draw a picture of your day, shoot for writing in it 4-8 times a month. That way, it’s not everyday bc you run out of things to write. Hope this helped! XD

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this!! <3 <3
    All of these are great ideas! Thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! A lot of great tips that I needed <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I definitely agree with the gratitude one! (Well, all of them, really.)
    I've also found that doing a bit of physical work can help a lot. But then again, I tend to focus more on reading a book than cleaning a room, so maybe I need that reminder more than anyone. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Same here! XD
      Thanks for commenting, Natalie!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the helpful tips, Brooklyne! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of these are good! Normally if I can get the things I need to do and have a plan for the day it can be a good day. Everyday can be so differnt. Also if the weather is nice that is a plus to the day. 😁

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally! And the weather definitely has a lot to do with having a good day...

      Delete
  7. Loved reading this! Thanks for sharing!!! <3 This is something I've been struggling with lately, so I'm hoping to put some of these (or all of these :D) tips to use!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Thanks for commenting, and I’m glad some of these tips are good ideas to you! ;)

      Delete
  8. This was a great post!! Thanks, Ben!!

    ReplyDelete