Wednesday, December 23, 2020

12 Days of Christmas Blog Party // Why He Came

 


Today, I'm joining in on the fun! 

JI'm taking part in the 12 Days of Christmas Blog Party that Faith puts on each year. What a fun tradition! 

Anyway, you must be wondering what my post is going to be about. I bounced many ideas around in my head regarding this post. I was pondering Christmas recipes, Christmas songs, Christmas movies, Christmas books, writing a Christmas poem, talking about Christmas traditions, etc. But the thing was, I have already done Gift Ideas, Songs, and a Poem last year. I wanted something a little different. 

We celebrate the birth of Jesus this time of year. I'm not sure the exact date of Jesus's birth. I also think that the typical nativity story we hear around Christmas time has been changed along the way. But the reason for His birth and coming to the earth has never changed!

I decided to write a little piece of fiction. Fiction that hopefully portrays a small piece of the redemption story. Fiction laced with TRUTH, if you will. Yes, Jesus was born to Mary and Joseph. In the little town of Bethlehem. Yes, that is usually the nativity story told, but I want to share a different part of the story. A story that answers "why" baby Jesus was born. 

Honestly, this story is not in my typical genre. But I set down to write, and this is what came out. It's not the light and fluffy Christmas story that I set down to write... 

Why He Came // The Ultimate Agape (Love of God for Man) 

I shifted uncomfortably in my crouched position on the cold, stone floor. My limbs had fallen asleep hours ago, and their painful tingling was the only indication that my body was still fighting for its life. Let it fight, but for all I care, my life was already gone. Deflated. Dead. 

Justice had been served and I was found guilty. Prison was the last nail in my coffin. My life was over.

Sitting all alone in a dark cell will get a person to think about things. Things they wish they could have forgotten years ago. I deserved worse than these four walls. I deserved worse. Steel, cross-hatched bars--eleven to be exact--contained the lowest of lows. Me.

I craved darkness, but even I knew that the blessed heavy cloak would not even begin to cover my shame. It couldn't. For my sin was too large.

My lips were like dry fire kindling, splintered and desperate for anything to quench my thirst. My stomach slinked against my backbone in utter hunger, I couldn't remember when I ate last. I deserved this. 

I deserved even worse.

Time was my enemy as it kept ticking. Why couldn't it just run out already? Waiting to die was almost worse than the haunting memories that kept me company. 

The sound of the jail cell door opening came to my ears. It's screeching was deafening against the otherwise, silent room. 

A moment later, He came in. His light, a stark contrast to the walls around me. When was the last time I had seen a kind face? Had I ever? Probably not. I most certainly had never seen this man before. I was blinded by His presence. I felt my heartbeat go from near stillness to full on thudding as I crumpled closer to my dark corner. Maybe I could hide my shame, He hadn't seen me yet... had He? 

My eyes slammed shut and I willed Him to leave. Light was on time's side. Light exposed my darkness. Time delayed the inevitable. Both were my enemy. I deserved this.

A strong yet gentle hand was placed on my bony shoulder. He called me by my name. For a quickened moment, I wanted to open my eyes. I wanted, truly wanted, to see the face of the Man who would even dare step foot inside my dark world. I wanted to see--oh but who was I kidding? This was only a hallucination. No one would ever come near the likes of me. 

Only... Someone did. Beside my crouched form, He sat down despite my filthy living quarters. For a moment, my eyes slitted open. I saw His eyes staring back at me and I braced for the condemnation that I knew I deserved. Instead, I saw a combination of sadness and something else. Was it grace? Or mercy? Could it be, love? My eyes widened further and the blurriness faded until I could focus on His hand. The same hand that had touched my shoulder now was reaching out to me.

His pierced hand was reaching out to me?

My dry throat couldn't form the word, but my heart asked, "Why?" Why was He here, of all places? Why was He here in my prison cell? Why would He stoop to my low world and my sorry state? Why was He reaching out to me, a sinner like me? 

A moment ago, I had welcomed death, wishing for it even. But now? Could there possibly be another way?

His pierced hand was reaching out to me. 

So I took it. I took His hand. And He lifted me up, steadying my weak, filthy body.

He paid the ransom for my life. He brought me out of my chains and took my place. I don't deserve this. I don't deserve this kind of grace. I don't deserve this kind of mercy. And I surely don't deserve this kind of love. 

I guess they call it Agape Love. For it was still at my lowest and darkest place where my Savior called me. He came down to my dark world. He paid the ransom for my sin. He took my sin upon Himself. He called me His own. He died my death, and then He rose victorious. He made a way for the likes of me to have life. He loved me enough to do all that and more.

~~~ 

Merry Christmas ya'll! When we celebrate this year, I hope you are reminded of why Jesus came to this world as a baby. <3 He came for you and for me.

Now, be sure to check out the others participating in this blog party, posts ranging from December 13-25th: 

An Attempt at Authenticity (Scarlett) 

Angela Watts 

Faith on the Farm 

Farm Life: Autumn’s Adventures 

Gabrielle E. 

God’s Path (Hannah) 

Life of Heritage (Ryana) 

Little Blossoms for Jesus (Katja) 

Maidens for Modesty (Kaitlyn)  

Novels, Dragons, & Wardrobe Doors (Abigail) 

Qadash - Set Apart, for Him (Molly) 

Read Review Rejoice (Abigail H.) 

RebekahAshleigh  

Showers of Blessings (Brooklyne) You are HERE :)

Soldier Girl Stories (Kassie) 

Sundrop Girls (Sawyer)  

Tower in the Plains (Tara)  

Whimsical Writings for His Glory (Jesseca) 


Sharing on Instagram: 

Courtney 

Emily 

And also, be sure to enter the GIVEAWAY HERE!!! The giveaway closes Christmas Eve night. The winner will be announced Christmas Day. 

And that's a wrap, y'all! I hope you enjoyed reading this post! Have a merry merry Christmas this year, and stay safe! <3 

Comment Below one thing you are thankful for this Christmas season!

Many Blessings,
Brooklyne Elysse


12 comments: