Wednesday, August 14, 2019

My Notes from the book Own Your Everyday // Part Two


Last Monday, I did part one of sharing the notes I took from the book Own Your Everyday. Read last Mondays post HERE. Today, I will be sharing the second part, covering chapters 7-12.

Let's get started!


Chapter Seven: Overcoming Comparison with Compassion and Communication

-The danger in comparing our everyday reality with the ideals or expectations we have comes when our real experience don't measure up to our expectations.
-When we fixate on what life "should" be or how things "could" look, we can lack direction in the here and now.
-Remember your "why." Replace jealous thoughts with joyful thoughts. Practice gratitude and cheerful generosity. Let her win. Communicate.
-Keep the purpose behind whatever you're doing in mind, and use that to help you focus on owning your everyday, not theirs.
-Ask more than you assume and communicate more than you compare.

Chapter Eight: Overcoming Perfectionism by Prioritizing

-The root of perfection is insecurity.
-Living in perfectionism is like living inside a hours with mirrors for windows.
-Living our purpose doesn't make us the point, it makes us point to the One who is the point.
-When I operate under the fear of failure, I'm weighed down by the pressure to prove myself and I lose sight of the one priority that matters: what God has given me to do in this season of life.
-You won't bee able to give your best because you'll be so distracted just trying to be the best.
-Purpose is found not in trying to prove we're worthy but in prioritizing what's important so we can be more present in who we're made to be.
-Faithfulness in the small things trumps striving for flawlessness in all things.

Chapter Nine: Overcoming Distraction in Discipline

-Distractions make me a consumer of the world rather than a contributor to the world. But the contributors are the ones who change the world.
-If we feed our souls garbage, or unhealthy distractions, we'll live our daily lives without discipline or direction. When we're unprepared or don't have a plan, we feel overwhelmed and will be much more likely to put unhealthy choices into our "carts," or into our hearts, because they appeal to us in the moment.
-The more passive we become, the less passionate we'll be, leaving us unable to pursue the purpose we're made for.
-Self-awareness is key to overcoming every distraction.
-Make sure the big and small decisions you make are good for both Present You and Future You.
-Write a "to-be" list to prioritize...

Chapter Ten: Focus on Who You Are, Not What You Do

-I can only do what I'm made to do when I know who I am.
-We try to derive our with and identity from what we do and the labels we wear, rather than letting out lives reflect who God is in us and who He says we are.
-When I find my identity in the things of the world-- such as my circumstance, appearance, accomplishments, reputation or status-- purpose will always be out of reach because putting my identity in such places lead to insecurity.
-Insecurity locks the doors. Identity-- knowing who God is in you and living as if you are who He's says you are-- opens them.

Chapter Eleven: Redefine Success

-When I lose the heart, I forget my "why," and that's a disaster. That's when we begin to replaces excellence with the pressure to melt expectations.
-The woman who draws her worth, purpose, and power from her status or other peoples opinions of her will always be a slave to the pressure to be the best.
-The pressure to succeed at everything people see can take away from the ability to truly be successful in the places that are unseen.
-The pressure is off when I accept the fact that I won't always fit the mold of who the world, the church, or other people expect of me to be. I won't always measure up to someone else, and maybe that's ok. 
-Take your eyes off the success and status symbols online and consider what success looks like in your personal life.

Chapter Twelve: Let It Go, Girl

-Living with purpose begins with releasing the comforts that have a hold on us so God can do a work in us.
-We must be changed on the inside so we can be the change in the world.
-When our hearts are healthy, we can fearlessly make the hard choices to shed whatever needs to be removed so we can experience real, lasting change. We flourish only when we release control of the lifeless things we've held on to, the things that suck the life out of us, choke the health out of our hearts, and hold us back from living as we should.


So there you have it! Those are the notes I took and sentences that stood out to me while reading Own Your Everyday by Jordan Lee Dooley! I know I've said this before, but I highly recommend reading this book! It is so good! 

What chapter notes stood out to you the most? Are you going to get a copy of Own Your Everyday? Did you read part one of my notes? 

Also, I wanted to say a huge thank you to all my blog followers!!! I hit 60 followers, and I am just so thrilled! So THANK YOU everyone who reads and has followed Showers of Blessings, y'all are amazing! 

Comment below! 









9 comments:

  1. 60 followers?! Wow, girl. You've got a mighty big number there! *laughs* I'm glad to be one of them. *grins* I love reading your blog. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Liberty! This comment means a lot to me, it made my day! <33

      Delete
  2. Loved this post! And congratulations on 60 followers!๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‰๐ŸŽ‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! Thank you, I still can't believe it myself! <3

      Delete
  3. You are a blessing. Congrats.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really sounds like a great book!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book, but I'm cheap so I might not get it for a while. :)
    Yay for 60 followers!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete