Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Self-Care 101



I've done a post very similar to this back in May 2020. Read it HERE.

Many times we think of others before ourselves. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you go go go without taking care of yourself, there will be a domino effect that will effect not only your own health, but others who you want to be there for. So today, I'll be talking about 10 ways to better care for yourself... 

There is a fine line when it comes to being "selfish" and just creating healthy boundaries. And I think it's different for each person depending on where they are in their walk. But for me, it's been hard to allow myself time to really care for my body. Caring for yourself is really important! 

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about stare-at-a-screen "me" time, or treating yourself to a second helping of dessert. You're telling me chocolate doesn't count as self care? lol, you wish.

How about this, have a square of chocolate when you complete one or two things off of this list a week! Chocolate isn't a self-care, but it makes for a great bribe! *winks*

Self-Care 101: 

  1. Sleep
  2. Health Foods 
  3. Workout
  4. Stay Hydrated 
  5. Read a book 
  6. Take a bath
  7. Manage a manageable todo list
  8. Spa night 
  9. Journal 
  10. Do something that brings you joy with no alternative reason for doing it.
Sleep

Sleep is one of the best ways to take care of your body! With the right amount of sleep/rest, you can tackle just about anything that will come your way in the morning. As simple as this is, it's extremely hard for many people to do. Average adults *should* be getting 7-9 hours of sleep. I shoot for 8 hours. Kids even longer. And I've heard it said that the sleep you get before midnight is where you can find the best rest. On an average weekday, I aim to go to bed by 9-10 and set my alarm for 5:30-6. Another pro tip I've heard said is that if you can go without screen time 30 minutes to an hour before you go to bed, that it can improve sleep and overall health! So don't sleep sabotage yourself by going to bed at 1am after a 2 hour movie or endless scrolling. Your body needs sleep and it's up to you to take care of it!

Health Foods 

*steps up to the mic* Ahem. Welcome, folks, to a topic that your hostess is very passionate about! This section could get it's own post. Or better yet, it's own blog! In other words, I hope to write a cookbook someday... But for real, what you put into your body is huge. Don't like yourself and want to feed the pain/stress in life? Junk food is your answer. Want to take care of your body and change your life? A whole foods, plant-based lifestyle is your answer! Care for yourself by fueling your body with food that fights disease, not with food that feeds it. Yes, I'm talking power greens, veggies, legumes, grains, and fruit (berries)! There is so many things in our lives that we can't control, but we *do* get a say in what we eat. *mic drop* *bows*

Workout 

I don't know about you, but when I workout, it does NOT feel likes self care. I mean, I'm sweating and my legs & arms turn to jello, not to mention the mental exhaustion of showing up and working hard! But ya know what? Afterwards, I feel great (after the soreness fades)! I feel very productive and like I've been a good steward of my body. Set some workout goals and don't let that fear or comparison get in the way. Workout because taking care of your body is a form of self-respect. And once you start this journey, it's hard to turn back. 

Stay Hydrated 

This fits in with the two above. But it needed it's own category because staying hydrated is *that* important! We need half of our body weight in ounces. I'm talking WATER. Not hot chocolate, coffee, pop, or some other favorite drink. H2O people.

Read a Book 

Reading a book is a great way to wind-down in the evenings, especially if you don't want to have screen time before bed! So pick out a book that grabs your attention and let the reading begin! No srsly, reading is really a form of self care because (1) you are doing it for yourself (2) you are creating habits that don't revolve around scrolling social media. And (3) you learn new things and expand your thinking!

Take a Bath

Take a bath and let yourself come down from a busy day. Breathe. Light a candle. Set the mood for REST. Because rest is important and rest doesn't always mean sleep. It can mean taking a bath with your favorite music and just chillin'. Try it sometime. 

Manage a Manageable todo list

Is it just me, or does todo lists have a way of getting out of hand to the point where they aren't helping anymore? Like, they are supposed to help organize your life, but instead, make it crazier? Yup, I feel ya. So, in order to care for your physical wellbeing and mental sanity... it's time to prioritize your todo list to make it more manageable. When you are mapping out your day or even week, take into account the most important tasks. Allot those to certain times in the day or days of the week depending on what type of todo list you are making. Don't make your todo list too long. Keep it to the point, and schedule fun things on that list as well! 

If you feel like you are drowning in things to do, remember that it's OK to say "no" to optional things on your plate. Nobody expects you to do it all. So you shouldn't put that pressure on yourself either. 

Spa Night 

Yeah, okay. It's hard to make time for yourself, let alone plan a whole spa night! But-- once in a blue moon, you should treat yourself to a face mask, hair mask, manicure, etc! Maybe even look up your own skincare recipes! 

Journal 

I've mentioned journaling before... But it's worth saying again. A huge part of self care is checking in. We check in on how friends are doing. So why don't we check in on ourselves. Write down what you are feeling. Did something big happen in your life that you want to record in a journal? Did something funny occur that made you smile? Was there some drama that you need to sift through fact/fiction? Do you have a decision that you need to make a pro and cons list?

Journaling helps a lot when you need to figure out life. 

Do something that brings you joy without an alternative reason for doing it

This last one is vague... But think about it. How many times do you find yourself allowing yourself to do something only when there is another alternative reason for you to be doing it? As a creative, I run into this a lot. Lets say, I want to do some painting. Well, I like painting, and I like finding ideas, making something pretty. But, usually I have a motive. I want to give the painting as a gift. I want to sell the painting. ETC. This self care tip is about painting because it brings me joy. It's about spending time with your horse not because you "have" to train, but to just enjoy your horse. It's about going on a walk in nature that leads nowhere except to find yourself. You name it.

~*~

Welllll, that concludes the list! When was the last time you did something off of this list? Do you find it's easy to practice self-care or hard for you to do? Do you have any tips to add to this list? Comment Below!

Many Blessings,
Brooklyne Elysse 

11 comments:

  1. i really like your tips and especially the no screen time before bed! This past year I have tried to stay off screens at least an hour or 2 before i fall asleep and I sleep so much better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Victoria! Oh, that’s so awesome that it’s working for you! xx

      Delete
  2. Love this! Self care is super important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is!
      When life gets busy, it’s usually the first thing we push to the back of the burner...

      Delete
  3. Great list! I have been reading the bible before bed as of late. I like to work out most of the time hehe, also stretching is great self care in my opinion. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SUCH a good habit. Working out and stretching are also great habits/routines! =)

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, soaking in the tub with some candles going sounds sooo nice. Our hot water heater is like, dead but we don't have the money right now to get a new one. So if you try and soak in the tub, you just end up soaking in a cold pool. xD Lol, so soaking in the tub sounds so wonderful right now! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, hopefully you can find other relaxing self-care things to do! (Or maybe just pretend it’s summer and take some watermelon to eat in the “pool”! XD)

      Delete