Friday, October 15, 2021

Tacos for Two // Book Review


Hello, hello!! It's a rainy day here and I decided to mix things up a bit and post on Friday. I don't know if you all noticed if I skipped a blog post last Wednesday or not, but I was a little busy and didn't have anything scheduled. (The reason for me being busy? I was working on a super crazy awesome birthday surprise for my dad! Should I do a post with pictures?? Comment below!)

But back to the review... I'm still loving the book review program btw! 

About the book: 

"Rory Perez, a food truck owner who can't cook, is struggling to keep the business she inherited from her aunt out of the red--and an upcoming contest during Modest's annual food truck festival seems the best way to do it. The prize money could finally give her a solid financial footing and keep her cousin with special needs paid up at her beloved assisted living home. Then maybe Rory will have enough time to meet the man she's been talking to via an anonymous online dating site.

Jude Strong is tired of being a puppet at his manipulative father's law firm, and the food truck festival seems like the perfect opportunity to dive into his passion for cooking and finally call his life his own. But if he loses the contest, he's back at the law firm for good. Failure is not an option.

Complications arise when Rory's chef gets mono and she realizes she has to cook after all. Then Jude discovers that his stiffest competition is the same woman he's been falling for online the past month.

Will these unlikely chefs sacrifice it all for the sake of love? Or will there only ever be tacos for one?"
Top genres for this boo

My Review: 

Who doesn't love tacos?? Who doesn't love food trucks??

Let's taco 'bout this book then, shall we? (Hands out tacos with extra cilantro for those who like that sort of thing... -->Jude.) 

This book was super contemporary which was a fun change from my typical genre. We're talkin' even text bubbles and emojis. About halfway through the book, I had to watch You've Got Mail because I wanted to catch all the references! And I'm glad I did, because the parallels between book and movie are epic. So I'm glad I got in the loop enough to know what they were talking about. 

The characters. 

Rory Perez was a great main character with lots of faults but also a lot of family loyalty and a fountain of ever-changing emotions. I didn't relate with her much besides her obsession with aesthetic Pinterest boards. Her relationship with Jude was interesting, and I'm kinda surprised she didn't figure it out sooner. 

Jude Strong rubbed me the wrong way on multiple occasions yet when I saw them interact on the dating site, they made a good couple. I loved reading through their banter and inside jokes (and who knew emoji sketches could be so cute!)

The side characters didn't have much going on and only supplemented the main characters. (Grady was funny though!) I always like it when the other characters get some storylines as well. I wish the ending would have been slightly different with a certain main characters' father... 

The Setting. 

Small towns are my favorite! I love the food truck competition and the family themes. The pace of this book was slower and there was less of a plot to follow. However, there was some nice themes about not placing our worth in what other people think of us and also that more money doesn't always mean happier lives. 

Concluding thoughts. 

Overall, it was a cute story with unique characters trying to find where they fit in the world. If you liked You've Got Mail, then you'd like this book! For me, it was slightly "meh" but the text bubbles, emoji's, and colorfully designed cover made it a fun & light contemporary romance! I'd recommend this book if you like a touch of family drama, small towns, and TACOS! 

***Thank you Revell books for a complementary copy of this new release! 

What's your favorite contemporary book? I'd rather read Historical fiction tbh! 
Do you like tacos as much as I do? 

P.S. I just finished my classes today and now I have a 10 day fall break before the next ones start! 
(no more math class for me!!! *confetti*) How have you been? 
Have I missed anything in the blogging world recently? 

Many Blessings, 
Brooklyne Elysse

4 comments:

  1. Great review, Brooklyne. Maybe one day I’ll have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! You should give it a try sometime! Thanks for commenting! *winks*

      Delete
  2. Fun review, Brooklyne!
    Yes do a post with pictures about your dad's surprise!!

    ReplyDelete