Monday, June 3, 2019

A Spontaneous Mission Field Trip of Sorts // Natural Disaster Clean-up



Last Saturday, instead of going to the nursing home as we had planned, we decided to drive down to where they had some really bad tornados recently in Ohio. We got up super early to load our four wheeler (with it's trailer to haul stuff), chainsaws, rakes, gloves, and eight cases of water bottles, then we hit the road. It took us quite a while to get there, but when we did, the damage we saw from the tornados blew me away. (<-- kinda feel bad about making that joke/play on words since I know how serious this is...)

*clears throat* Anyway, we met at this really big church, and they gave us different "zones" that still needed to be cleared. So many trees had fallen, branches were everywhere and our goal was to make piles of it all. A few other people joined my family because we were the ones with the chainsaws. Our first project was someones house that we believe no one lived there, but a big tree had fallen in the backyard and another over the driveway. With so many helping hands, we made quick work of cutting and piling the branches by the street.

After we were done with that house, we drove five minutes up the road where the tornado had hit really hard. We saw cars and trucks crushed by big tree branches, houses with damaged roofs, someone was even pulling a trampoline out of a pond. There was some serious damage done by all the strong wind... I can't even imagine actually being there when it all was happening. We talked to a few people and they said it all happened so fast. 

There was this one house that its whole roof was completely gone and you could see some boxes that had been in the attic when it happened. And in this residential area, there was whole sides of the houses torn off and you could see inside. It was bad, and I felt so sorry for the people who were in those houses when the tornados hit. I imagine that would be the scariest thing to experience! Where we were working, most of the people had lost electricity and water. 

We were directed to go to a small farm who had lots of trees to clear in the horse pastures. I was glad I had my muck boots on because when we got there, the pasture was terribly muddy. We spent three hours cutting, hauling branches, and heavy stumps (double teaming... talk about girl power!) It was really hot out, but a neighbor lady let us have some of her water, gatorade, and snacks. 

Everyone just pitched in. Lots of assembly lines happened and you worked alongside people you didn't know to get the job done, but that's kind of what a mission project is all about, right? 

This kind of work, made me smile because I knew we were helping. Sure, we couldn't have cleared all the trees that had fallen, but for three hours, we cleared a lot. It was a little dint compared to all of the damage, but it was significant.


I've always wanted to go on a mission trip, the kind where you go and help build things like churches...  but a couple days ago, I was able to go on a mission field trip and I must say that even though it was hard work, it was a really good experience. I got to witness people coming together in a crisis, and the energy around it. People were eager to get their hands dirty and help out. 

I also got to be reminded of how quickly life can change. These people didn't know that their houses would be destroyed within 30 seconds. And yet, in a blink of an eye, all their earthly possessions were picked up and scattered all over. Brick walls had crumbled, giant trees uprooted from the ground. Even this one house had been moved from it's foundation!

And I don't know if you've experienced a natural disaster before, but I know that a lot of us sometimes feel like we have a tornado in our lives. Not a real one, but hypothetically speaking. 

Maybe you feel like you are wind-whipped to the point that you can't hang on any longer, maybe your ground is shaking and you have no idea where you will land in all this chaos. Or maybe your "tornado" has already gone and you are left to pick up the pieces. Maybe the pieces are heavy and muddy. But I just wanted to tell you to hang on and don't give up. It's going to be hard work, but you have to start branch by branch. And when you feel too weak to go on, rely on Gods strength to pick you back up. 

I don't know why this tornado had to destroy so many houses and homes, but I do know that God can make good out of what we see as a bad thing. And that's why we have to trust Him with this. With the real life natural disasters of our homes as well as the internal turmoil inside our hearts and homes. God will never forsake you in the storm! 

Pictures from the area where we were working: 





Have you ever experienced a tornado? Have you ever gone on a mission trip? When you are in a scary situation, what is one thing that really helps you trust God with the outcome? 
Talk to me in the comments below! <3 

P.S. I wasn't planning on this post so it might sound more like a ramble, and less of a polished post... but I just wanted to share of my experience and thoughts on all this. *winks*






15 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! Those poor people!! D: The weather has been really crazy in the US, lately, for some reason. Bad year for storms.

    I am so proud of you and your family for going out there and helping those people! You were a big blessing to all those people!!

    Yes, actually. I've experience approximately four instances where we had to run to the storm shelter. It's always scary, and it wreaks havoc on our stuff, but I'm so glad God's allowed everything to come out okay and kept us and our animals safe!

    I've gone on a sort of mission trip. It was just in the town nearest us, but I guess you could call it that!

    I just pray for strength in accepting any situation He confronts me with, and that helps. :)

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I felt really sorry for them and what they were going through! Yup, spring usually brings some bad weather...

      It was a great experience, for sure!!

      Wow! Praise God that y'all were kept safe! That sounds scary!

      Awesome! <3

      Praying is such a good tool when life gets tough, and even when it doesnt. Thanks for reading this post, Boots! ;)

      Delete
  2. wow. That sounds scary!
    I'm so glad I live where there are no tornadoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tornados are super scary! And the damnage left in their wake is awful, but it could have been a lot worse...

      Thanks for commenting, Liberty! <3

      Delete
    2. They sure sound it!

      You're welcome, Brooklyne! <3

      Delete
  3. That's so sad:( I've never experienced a tornado, only a hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a hurricane would be really scary! I'm glad you were safe when it happened!

      Delete
  4. We have so many tornado warnings here, especially between the months of October and June. June is especially bad for having violent storms and tornadoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's that time of year for weather like this!

      Delete
  5. We have not had a tornado. Last year we had a bad hail storm, and it killed a lot of a the grass and hay field.
    Sounds awesome to go and help with clean up!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, hail is awful! We have gotten smaller hail before, but I have heard stories of hail that was golf ball sized!
      I'm so glad we went! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you got the opportunity to help those people! Keep doing the good work <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It was a really good experience for me! <3

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an awesome opportunity! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I love mission minded projects like that! ;)

      Thanks so much for commenting, Faith!!! <3

      Delete