Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Faux Calligraphy 101

 


I don't know how many people know this about me, but I LOVE hand-lettering! It's so fun & relaxing. Today's post is going to be dedicated to faux calligraphy. Basically, I'll be showing you the easy way to create calligraphy! I hope this inspires you to give it a try sometime... Who knows, it might be your next favorite hobby! 

I'll be breaking this down into three simple steps! 

All you need to begin with is a pen and a piece of paper. Any pen will work, but I prefer a fine tipped Tombow brush pen.


Step One: Write in cursive.

In order to get the desired "calligraphy" look, you first have to start by writing in cursive. Try your best to keep your letters rounded and flow-y. Also, be sure to leave enough space in between each letter for step two! This step might take the most practices. But don't worry too much if your lines are shaky. This type of calligraphy is pretty forgiving. 


Step Two: Draw a second line to mirror each down stroke.

Now it's time to go back through your cursive hand-lettering and add some depth! To do this, simply thicken the down strokes by adding a second line. Try your best to keep all the added lines the same width throughout your word/phrase. It will look more consistent when you add the same amount of thickness. Why add to only the down strokes? Because in real brush calligraphy, the technique is to add more pressure to the pen (creating a thick line) on each downstroke. This adds the elegance to hand-lettering! 


^^ The top line has the added down stroke line... you can already see the difference in depth!



Step Three: Fill in the down strokes! 

This is optional! If you want, you can also fill in the space with lines, polka dots, etc! This is the most satisfying part about calligraphy for me, it's so fun. 

Lots of practice will help improve!




Voilà: You have just mastered the art of Faux Calligraphy! 

And there you have it! Here is a quick reference sheet (with arrows specifying down strokes)...


Have you ever tried calligraphy? Does this post make you want to give it a try? What is your favorite quote to hand-letter? Do you have any questions for me? Comment Below!

Many Blessings,
Brooklyne Elysse




14 comments:

  1. I love your calligraphy! so pretty. I used to do some and now i use it as my everyday writing :) its so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria! Calligraphy is so pretty and elegant! So fun to do too! XD

      Delete
  2. Wow! Awesome calligraphy!!! I've tried it, but I'm not very good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO pretty, Brooklyne!! I have tried my hand but you gave some pretty good tips! I might try them out and see how they work, sometime. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s so fun and it’s easy to finding quotes or Bible verses to practice! XD

      Delete
  4. Wow, that's beautiful, Brooklyne! Great idea for a step-by-step tutorial! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Molly! I’m glad you liked this post! <3

      Delete
  5. Brooklyne!! This is lovely! Keep using your giftings, girly! You inspired me to practice this for myself. *rubs hands together* ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting, Hosanna! <3 I’m rly glad this post inspired you!

      Delete