Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Book Series Spotlight



Today, I'd like to talk about a series I just recently completed! The Wings of Glory series by Sarah Sundin. This is the first series I've read by Sarah Sundin, and so far, I have really enjoyed her writing style (though she doesn't shy away from the harder topics.)

My Reviews:

Book One: A Distant Melody 

Why in the world did I not pick this book up sooner! A Distant Melody is now one of my most favorite books EVER! I absolutely loved it!!! (sorry if this review is a little all over the place!)

From the perfect cover to the story inside, this book was phenomenal! What can I say? When I read the very last page, I was sad because I didn't want it to end.

Allie and Walt "Preach" are so wonderful together. These two main characters came alive to me, they were very real and really just the best! In fact, all of the characters in this book were extremely well written! Oh man, did Baxter and Allie's parents make me mad, though! And it was tragic about Frank...

I loved the friendships! Especially in the first of the book! And it was so neat to see Allie and Walt's friendship-turn-to-something-more throughout the letters! But, honestly I think that happened even before the letters began! <3

Just watching how Allie grew from the first of the book to the last of the book was amazing. Nothing was rushed, and I just loved how her character developed!

I love the way Sarah Sundin was able to weave her words in such a way that there was some real heart to heart lessons to be learned, but then at the same time, there was a few moments when there would be teasing or just plain cuteness happening! Both of these combined and it made for the most enjoyable read! (Honestly, if the book I write someday is half as good as A Distant Melody, I would be overjoyed!)

There is only two things that could have been different in my mind, one of which was that I felt like the plot wasn't going anywhere, or maybe I am used to faster paced plots. For most of the book, the two were separated because of the war. Because of this, I felt like I was reading the same scene twice from both sides... There was plot twists, and miscommunications, but I didn't really feel like there was a huge climax to the story. The second thing was the miscommunications. They were vital to the story, but after a while, I got a little tired of the two main characters not being on the same page with each other and the very complicated web of lies surrounding their relationship.

The history throughout this novel was well written! There wasn't too many facts that made it seem like a non-fiction history book. It was definitely enough fiction for me, but also enough real history to satisfy!

I absolutely LOVED this book so much! A Distant Melody definitely deserves five shiny stars, if not more!

Book Two: A Memory Between Us

3.75 stars

Well, I really enjoyed reading this second book in the Wings of Glory series by Sarah Sundin.

The cover is so perfect for the story! I really liked Ruth and Jack. And I thought it was sweet to have the reoccurring inside joke rhyming with moon, and June. As much as I liked these two main characters, my favorite characters would by far be their friends- Charlie and May! (this couple needs a book about them!)

I also thought that it was cool to hear more about Walt and Allie from the first book (love those two!)

The author of A Memory Between Us did an amazing job with this book, and I love her writing style so much!!! :) I am so looking forward to reading more books by Sarah Sundin!

I liked how each main character had a fear they had to overcome, and the message I received was of letting God have control and putting our trust in Him (Giving Him our worries and fears.)

This book dealt with some very hard topics including rape. And for this reason, I do NOT recommend this book to younger readers, or readers sensitive to this subject.

I was not bothered by the main character (Ruth) remembering her past, but when her past became a reality for her to overcome at the end of the book, that part bothered me. That is why I have such a hard time rating this book. On one hand it was a great book, but on the other, I felt like that last part (where both main characters had to face their fears- literally) I felt was unnecessary to the story. Too much detail for me. In other words, if my family were watching that last scene (involving Burnsy) as a movie, my parents would be quickly jumping up for the remote to turn it off...

In my mind, they could have overcome their fears (for Jack it was water and drowning, for Ruth it was a hard past including evil men...) without having to go through what they did. If I were to rate chapters 49 through 60, my star rating would be considerably lower. But I decided to give the overall book a 4 stars (3.75).

In the end, I really liked reading this book and it helped pass the time on my return trip (a five hour drive!) I am excited to continue on with this series!


Book Three: Blue Skies Tomorrow 

Ok y'all! What an end to the Wings of Glory series!

Both characters had to overcome their fear. And this was such a great message to the book. I loved how they held each other accountable and really stood strong when they were tempted to just fall back into the familiar fear patterns. Also, the characters grew so much thought these pages!

I especially loved learning and reading about this timeframe.

The cover (and really the covers in the whole series) is AMAZE! Just, perfect! <3

The characters: for the most part, I really liked them. There were a few things that I didn't care for (more so in regard to Helen.) But, she grew on me. And some of the side characters... hmm.

Honestly, the back of the book didn't even begin to explain the complicated story inside. The plot thickened pretty fast. And you could really see the internal struggle that the characters had. Helen was between a rock and a hard place, for sure.

The romance was a little on the heavy side for me. Didn't care for that part, especially so soon at the beginning.

This book dealt with some tough topics ** Spoiler alert: Helen's late husband and father-in-law were abusive. And there was details shared. ** End spoiler.

It suffice to say, is for older readers in my opinion. Definitely mature content...

But, life is real. Life is hard. And this book didn't shy away.

I loved seeing the other characters from previous books! That was a plus!

Overall, this book was really good and I'm sad to see the series come to an end. My favorite was book one, and I liked book three better book two.

Thanks for reading my review! I hope these thoughts helped you decided if you'd like to read Blue Skies Tomorrow. (Also, sorry this review is all over the place!)



Have you read this series? If so, what's your favorite book?? 
Comment below! 

Many Blessings,
Brooklyne Elysse

14 comments:

  1. My sister, Daminika has read this series, I think, and really enjoyed them. She's told me to read them but I haven't gotten around to it yet. xP *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a great series! (Book two wasn’t my favorite) But book one was amazing! There’s some hard topics covered, but also some great lessons about overcoming fear. I’m glad I got the chance to read these! ;)

      Delete
    2. I think it was actually a different series by, Sarah Sundin, that Daminika read and told me about but whatever! *laughs* She has read two of this series though xP

      Delete
    3. Oh ok, gotcha! Sarah Sundin has a really good writing style! ;)

      Delete
  2. The first one is definitely my favorite! (But all the covers look really cool ;) It's on my list of books to buy :-) The 3rd was pretty good too. But I didn't really like the 2nd, and probably wouldn't read it again...
    Another one of my favorites by Sarah Sundin is The Sea Before Us :D It's been a little while since I've read it, but I remember it being pretty good! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sounds like we have about the same opinions! And the covers are one of the best parts! <3
      Oohhh, I need to read that one!! XD

      Delete
  3. I will definitely be adding this series to my reading list! I recently found your blog and have been really enjoying it! :)
    Blessings,
    Emily
    emilysugarnspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a great series! Well, welcome, Emily! I hope my words on this blog are a blessing to you. <3

      Delete
  4. I read one Sarah Sundin book years ago and nearly hated it...but you're making me want to give it another go with these books xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my reviews can get a little too enthusiastic and all over the place. Like I said, I love her writing style, the only bad thing abt this series were the characters’ tough pasts and topics covered because of that. Which one did you read? You probably wouldn’t care for them because of the romance. *winks*

      Delete
  5. I absolutely loved hearing your thoughts on this series!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you liked reading these reviews! They were a little all over the place. XD

      Delete
  6. My phone hates blogger so that's why I have never commented on here... but now that I have my computer... ;)
    Anyways, this was a great post, Ben, and I may steal this idea... ;) and from now on I'll be commenting!

    ReplyDelete