Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Never Miss // Book Review

I'm so excited to be sharing another book review here on Showers of Blessings! I hope you like reading my thoughts on this book! 

Back of the book blurb:

"Former CIA sniper Kadance Tolle possesses a special set of skills and a rare pedigree. She comes from a family of assassins, and by saving Lyndon Vaile's life she risks being found by them. Despite the danger, Kadance feels compelled to help Lyndon discover who is after him--and his research that seems to prove that the Ebola virus was manmade and is about to be weaponized.

With shadowy figures pursuing them and a Mastermind watching their every move, Kadance and Lyndon must scramble to stop an impending bioattack at the State of the Union address. But their warnings fall on deaf ears, and it becomes increasingly clear that there's no one they can trust--except perhaps each other.

Strap in for a breakneck story that will have you up all night, hurtling toward the last page as the clock ticks and time runs out."

My review: 

Never Miss 

★★★☆☆

2.5 Star! 

Hmmm, how do I formulate ALL my thoughts on this book in one review...? Lets start with the basics! First off, what caught my eye about this book was not the back blurb but rather the cover design. Okay, there, I said it. I have a soft spot for quality covers! I absolutely love the cover. It's just plain stunning! And can we just take a moment to appreciate how well the cover matches the story inside? Don't ya just love it when that happens?! 

Never Miss was a fast-paced read with an intriguing plot. It speaks volumes for me to finish a book in under a week. According to Goodreads, this book took me four days. By the first few chapters, I was invested enough in the story to keep reading as I just HAD to see how it all ended. The characters made for a interesting and wild ride. The plot was complicated and very intricate, and tbh, very twisted-thinking. (However, that usually goes hand in hand with the suspense genre.) I found many aspects to be quite unbelievable almost as if this was a fantasy about two superheroes set out to save the world. I mean, it basically was just the two of them out against all odds.

Characters: 

Wanna know my favorite character? Mac! I know, I know, for those who've not read the book yet, Mac is the much lovable, ultra smart, and intuitive cat! Kandances' cat who acts like a dog and let me just say the meaning behind the name is brilliant. Also, I'm dead serious. Mac is my favorite and this may be because I'm a animal person, but Mac is the star of the show. :) 

Kandace. First off, cool name, but--Wow, she has been through a lot. Her backstory was extreme. Like, she'd need some serious counseling... But despite this dramatic family past, her traumatic time as a CIA sniper, and her fear of betrayal, we see a young woman who desperately wants to do the right thing. We see her struggle with putting up a wall and doing what she does best--her job, no matter how cold and hard it is to do. Yet, we see other sides of Kandace as well. She's considerate, she's calm in stressful situations, always trying to ease the pain of others, and diligently caring for her pet (Mac!!) I would have liked to see more character development as the Christian worldview was kinda thrown upon her and no one really followed through with that. At the end of the book, she was still trying to adjust to a Christian mindset and way of life that we don't see her really have time to grow into a new understanding. 

Lyndon. (Another cool name, btw!) As awesome as he was, something about him didn't click for me. We see this dude who's mega smart. So smart that he got headaches from his brilliance. We're talking, three doctorate degrees before age 30. Not only is he this crazy intelligent scientist, he also has a photographic memory. Oh, and he can fist fight like Rocky. This guy is basically superman. Supposedly he's geeky, but good looking and all that too. The only thing this guy can't do is tell a lie! So despite these overwhelming standards for his personality, I will say that I liked how loyal he was to Kandace and he didn't push her at all when it came to her opening up to him about her past. That was good. However, he claimed to be a Christian but readers are given contradictions through some of his actions. 

A couple things made me take off stars for this review. One thing I found to be super annoying was their romance. It was all attraction. And that just made it awkward. Secondly, are we to assume this whole book takes place in a little over a week? That was just a lot of information, plot twists, etc. for that short amount of time. Many things about this book were unrealistic and far fetched, yet with all the virus talk, it almost seemed dystopian. (Or on the other hand, too realistic for the conspiracy theories out there...)

I expected a much different climax. The whole story built up the image of this "mastermind." I can't give much details without spoilers, but this person behind all the creepy messages and warnings was so messed up. The author did really good building the backstory of the plot yet when it came down to tying up loose ends, it was almost lacking somehow. However, it was a good mystery with a very intriguing storyline!

Concluding thoughts: 

I'm really glad I got the opportunity to read this suspense novel! There was some things that affected the star rating, and because of those reasons, this book wasn't my cup of tea. If you are looking for a exciting read with some crazy intelligent characters and an awesome cat sidekick, then this book might be for you! 

*Thank you Revell Reads Blogger Program for a complementary copy of this new release! These thoughts are my own. 



Do you like books that keep you on the edge of your seat? What is the last book that you couldn't put down? Have you read Never Miss? Comment below! 

Many Blessings, 
Brooklyne Elysse





2 comments: