Wednesday, April 15, 2020

What Airplanes Can Teach Us



What Airplanes Can Teach Us...

Last December, I flew for the first time in 10 years. I don't typically like airplanes because I don't like trusting someone else for my well being. Also the "what if's" usually come to mind and I get a little nervous. But there is one thing about flying that makes it almost worth the fear of being off the solid ground: the views. I love window seats, and every time I look out that plane window, I am AMAZED. Flying up in the sky, watching the clouds that God has created and admiring the painted masterpiece is just breathtaking.


But let me tell you a little about my experience.

We boarded the plane after navigating through the busy airport. I was praying hard as I stepped onto the plane. It was icy/snowy so they de-iced the plane, which was kinda neat to see.

As soon as we took off, the grey smog flew past my window. I was praying even harder. But then, as we got higher and higher, we passed through a layer of clouds. As soon as the grey clouds cleared from my view, I saw something beautiful. And when I saw the clear sky and sunrise, I felt a peace. I'm not joking or just saying that ya'll. I was so nervous and then all the sudden, I was just peaceful because I was so in awe of the view.



Then we accelerated even higher and my peace went away. I saw yet another layer of gray cloud my window and I couldn't see the peaceful sunrise any longer. I was tense again and started praying. Since I was just sitting there, there wasn't really anything else to do. But to observe those around me (can't help it, I'm a writer) and eat the snacks I brought. The snacks helped with my ears popping for anyone new to flying. Skittles were especially good! *winks*


But then, as the clouds cleared, my praying ceased because all was good again. The view I saw was even more amazing then before. The sun was so bright and I couldn't help but to think, "Wow, God." Not to mention how fluffy the clouds below us looked. It was a perfect ocean of clouds. Soon after, I saw a "rainbow" that the sun had made. I don't know about you, but rainbows bring a sort of promise to mind. A promise that through and after the storm, God is still here with us. The rainbow calmed me further and I couldn't help but relax and enjoy the view. That's when I took 83649857 pictures out my plane window.




The scene out my window kept changing from blue skies, bright sunshine, patchwork clouds, and then the clouds cleared to be the ground below. The water, trees, rough terrain, etc! I literally got the birds eye view. Overall, my plane experience was a good one. But it had me thinking about my reaction to the unknown of the flight.

My outlook changed as quickly as my view. One moment, when the gray clouds covered my window, I felt more anxious. But as soon as the sun pierced through the clouds and we were above the clouds, I was ok. I was more than ok, maybe even enjoying the ride.


The point of this post:

Prayer is so important. But it's important all the time...

I found myself only truly praying when the plane ride got scary. And I think God desires a relationship with us that goes beyond the emergency prayers. Sure, He is right there with us when we go through tough times, He's even there before we utter a single word of prayer. But what about on the good days. The days when life is not scary, how often do I pray and talk to God?

This plane ride has showed me that God is with us through it ALL. Every passing moment, He is here. On the bad days, when we earnestly need His peace, He is there. On the good days, when we get distracted by life, He is still there. And He has given us prayer as a way to have a relationship with Him.


(Our world right now is in a constant state of uncertainty and fear of the unknown. We need to be praying for all affected by this virus, and know that God hears those prayers. When this is all over, He still hears our prayers. Although this grey cloud is over out window right now, blue skies are coming. Keep looking up.)

My challenge today, is to talk more with my Heavenly Father in all areas of life.

In both the gray skies and the blue ones.

Is there a time when you found yourself focusing more on the fear than on the faith? 
Have you flown before? What's your favorite plane ride snack?

Many Blessings,
Brooklyne Elysse 


12 comments:

  1. I myself find that I pray mainly when I'm scared or things are going wrong, so this was a great reminder that we should pray even when things are going right <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a neat post, Brooklyne. I really enjoyed it. <3
    Yes, we need to pray more and become closer to our Maker. He's truly wonderful. <3
    Also, beautiful pictures girl! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liberty!
      Yes, so true! God is so good! <3

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post, and so true!!! This was such a great reminder, I needed this. :) Thank you!!! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I’m glad you liked reading it, Brooklyn! It’s a much-needed reminder for me too. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is so true! Thank you for sharing. I was thinking about this last night during my worship times, too!
    ~Izzy~ stayinthesunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love flying. I grew up flying in my dad's airplanes. Yet sometimes I do get scared when flying! I have felt a deep need for prayer lately and I truly enjoy talking with my heavenly father (don't forget to listen sometimes too!)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve only flown a handful of times, but it is always a adventure! For sure!
      Praise God! Yes, and He loves it so much when His children come to Him.

      Delete
  6. I typically pray more when things are going "wrong" according to me. (I - who don't know anything. Haha!)

    Flying reminds me to trust God, because I know that I'm not in control of the plane. God is. It's good to remember that He's in control of ALL of my life and not me. If we could only see His love in full we would trust Him completely with our life. He has a beautiful plan. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it’s definitely human nature to call out for help when things aren’t going how we expected them to go. And I think it is so amazing that we serve a God who hears our prayers even though He knows already the end from the beginning.

      Yes indeed! So true, thank you for sharing, Emily! <3

      Delete